Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

System Information Type 2quater

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RFMan

There are instances when doing drive test in TEMS9.1, i got this SI2quater message after Call Initiation, in effect, the post processing tool (Ranopt in our case) flagged it as Call Setup Failure because of that message. However in TEMS, the call was completed up to the Connect Acknowledge in the UL thus the call was a success. My question is, where do you think is the problem why SI2quater was received after the call initiation message?

pix

hi rfman,

this message si2quater only contains the list of 3G neighbours and extra 2G neighbours info (got to check the 3GPP to get more details, 44.018 would be a start)
    I can’t explain why Ranopt would count this as a failure.

regards
    pix

RFMan

Hi Pix,

thank you for the reply. I checked on the 3gpp specification and si2quater is gsm to umts cell reselection parameter which only happen in idle mode. Maybe this is the reason why Ranopt counted it as a failure. That is why i raised this question since i don’t know which side of the network has the problem or if it is a TEMS problem.

pix

rfman,

yes, that seems to be logical : the si2quater should be only broadcasted on the BCCH, not sent on the SACCH.
    If your TEMS is receiving it, it means
    1) the network sent it on the SACCH (but perhaps that is an acceptable behaviour definde in 3GPP ? you didn’t find anything about this ?) (please check that this message was indeed received on the SACCH channel, if possible)
    or
    2) the TEMS ms has listened to the BCCH during the call setup (weird)
    or
    3) the TEMS software is going crazy and displays this message too late (weird too)

Do you have anything else in mind ?

I would go for answer 1) and contact RanOpt to report the issue.

cheers
    pix

RFMan

Pix,

There is a similar SI5ter which is sent over SACCH and i believed this is what the bts will send in the DL during dedicated mode, but i have not seen this message during the drive. I will check on #1 if the message was sent on SACCH, but this is strange since 3gpp is specific that si2quater will be sent on BCCH. I am about to believe on #3 though since there are lots of issues regarding TEMS9.1, the reason maybe why ASCOM released TEMS10 in lesser waiting time than usual.

Thanks for the reply.

Pix

RFMan,

it is indeed an idle mode message only, i double-checked. I would too lean towards a TEMS faulty behaviour.

so… let us know how it goes…
    and thanks for sharing, that was a well-needed “memory refresh” on the SI2 and SI5 messages 🙂

regards
    pix

meim

SI 1,2,3 <-> Idle
    SI 4,5 <-> Dedicated

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.