Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

User busy during SMS reception

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ram

Hello,
    Will there be user busy case for a calling party if B-party is receiving SMS at that time. The called party has Call waiting active. Will the reception of SMS cause user busy condition. pls clarify.

thanks,
    ram

Mania

Yup there would be user busy when the called party is on SDCCH if he is on TCH during any transaction then call waiting would come into play.

ram

Thanks Mania.

naveen

I have NEVER heard of a scenario where the calling party is ‘marked busy’because he is getting an SMS. SMS is a low priority service and can be postponed for the sake of a CS call.

Mania

But if you are already receiving an SMS and that the time a call is made or you are in the SD phase of call setup and during that time some one calls you its observed that he gets user busy.
    You can try it by having tems send SMS in a loop and try calling it. from another tems connected to same laptop. then have the events of both MS displayed on the same Event window.

SHELDON

Naveen,

An MS cannot monitor its paging channel if it is on a dedicated channel.

If an MS is receiving an SMS ( which is sent on SDCCH, a dedicated channel), then it can’t monitor it’s paging channel, and at that instant, it will be marked as busy. I agree with Mania.

Regards,
    SHELDON

paraHO

Sheldon how does “MS cannot monitor its paging channel if it is on a dedicated channel.” with the GSM case below:

Case D: Mobile terminating short message transfer, parallel call.

BR

SHELDON

ParaHO,

Can you explain what happens in the case you mentioned (from whichever document you’re quoting from)?

I stand to be corrected, but I still think ” an MS cannot monitor its paging channel if it is on a dedicated channel.”

Regards,
    SHELDON

paraHO

Sheldon, I sorry, forgot to mention:

GSM04.11 Annex F or
    3GPP 24011 Annex F

“LAPDm SAPI 3 handling for short message service”

SHELDON

ParaHO,

The description there does not contradict my point. Case D in that document describes how an SMS is delivered when the receiving MS is on a voice call. In this case, the SMS is sent on the SACCH, as described in the document. This even shows that SMS is not a “low priority service and can be postponed for the sake of a CS call”

Regards,
    SHELDON

paraHO

Yes Sheldon you right. Case D doesn’t contradict. I should have re-read the original question instead of thinking about the later answers.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.