Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Ericsson EGPRS DATA calculation

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    NK

Dear All,

We need to calculate data volume for Ericssson. We are calculating throughput by using this formula:
    (DLTHP1GTHR+DLTHP2GTHR+DLTHP3GTHR+DLBGGTHR)/(DLTHP1GDATA+DLTHP2GDATA+DLTHP3GDATA+DLBGGDAT)

Can we use Denominator value to calculate data? OR There is another method.

Thank you in Advance
    Regards,
    NK

SHELDON

Hi NK,

Yes, the denominator in that equation is equal to the total data volume for GPRS. For EDGE, the corresponding counters are DLTHP1EGDATA, DLTHP2EGDATA, DLTHP3EGDATA and DLBGEGDATA.

Alternatively, you can use DLINTBGVOL+DLSTRVOL to determine the total data volume downlink, and this includes both GPRS and EDGE.

Regards,
    SHELDON

NK

Thank you Sheldon for your help.

Regards,
    NK

SAFAR

HI SHELDON,

WE ARE TAKING COUNTER DLINTBGVOL FOR DL DATA VOLUME INCLUDING BASIC,GPRS AND EDGE
    AND FOR UPLINK DATA VOLUME WE ARE TAKING THIS COUNTER ULINTBGVOL.

SO SHELDON U SAID THIS COUNTER
    DLINTBGVOL+DLSTRVOL .BUT WHATS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF DLSTRVOL COUNTER WE ARE NOT CONSIDERING THIS ONE. IS IT OK?

AND BUDDY I HAVE SMALL DOUBT ABT LLC AND RLC?

AS PER MY UNDERSTANDING LLC MEANS FROM GGSN TO PCU
    AND RLC MEANS MS TO PCU. RIGHT?

AND ONE MORE WHY WE ARE CONSIDERING FOR DATA VOLUME LLC THRPUT NOT RLC THRPUT?

safar

hi sheldon,

Are u there?

Prabeen

Hi Safar,

Wen an NPDU has been sent to GGSN for connecting to the GPRS nEtwork, The GGSN forwards the same to SGSN through Inter PLMN IP backbone Network. Now, the SGSN compresses and partitions the npdu to LLC frames and sent to BSS using BSS GPRS protocol (BSSGP). The BSC will partition it again to RLC blocks.

I hope u r clear.

SHELDON

Hi Safar,

Sorry for my delayed response.

The counter DLSTRVOL gives the data volume for streaming. However, if you’ve not activated QOS, then this counter will be zero, which means DLINTBGVOL will give you the correct data volume.

On the protocol stack, LLC is between the SGSN and the MS and the RLC is between BTS and MS.

Now why LLC and not RLC to measure throughput? Ideally, throughput should be measured at the higher layers of the protocol stack(eg IP layer). This will give a better indication of the user perception. However, the BSS cannot collect statistics at layers higher than LLC.

Going by this argument, it’s better to measure throughput on the LLC layer since it’s higher than the RLC layer.

Regards,
    SHELDON

safar

hi sheldon,

Thanks buddy and buddy by activating qos which kpi we can gain?

And whats exactly qos do?is it loke this in this dl multislot assignment will apply according to application not by multiclass.is it?

safar

hi sheldon,

Buddy where are u? Waiting for ur precious suggestion.

SHELDON

Safar,

Overall, I don’t think this will improve any KPI.

QOS enables the BSS to differentiate users based on class (conversational, streaming, interactive, background.

Each class has certain parameters( eg, maximum bit rate, guaranteed bit rate, etc), which help the BSS to allocate timeslots, choose coding scheme, etc. In this case, the dl multislot assignment will depend on BOTH the application and the MS multislot class.

Regards,
    SHELDON

safar

hi sheldon,

Buddy without qos if my mobile supports 5 timeslot then it will get 5 timeslot irrespective of what applicationlike mail,file uploding,downloading ok?so here every ms will get full timeslot according to its class irrespective of application and this will disturb my dl multislot assignment kpi.is it?
    While with qos bss will allocate according to its application and this will improve dl multislot assignment kpi.right?
    But i want to know with qos bss will always check first application or multislot?
    Plz clear sheldon if i am wrong ?too much confusion….

SHELDON

Hi Safar,

Without QOS, the timeslots are assigned based on:
    1. MS multislot class
    2. Available timeslots on cell
    3. BSC/CELL parameter settings

With QOS, the application type AS WELL AS the above criteria are considered. This may not necessarily lead to an improvement in your dl multislot assignmebt, because it depends on the parameter settings. The BSS checks BOTH application and multislot class before assigning resources.

Regards,
    SHELDON

safar

hi sheldon,

U said with qos also parameter setting should also considered which parameter setting are u talking?

And if qos checks both ms class and type of application then buddy whats the benefit of activating qos?

And here with qos if my ms is capable of 5 timeslot and if i want to open only webpage then for this small application with qos will it assign 2 or 3 timeslot according to application or full 5 timeslot according to multislot class?

And what the difference between streaming,background,coversational and interactive?

Sorry buddy asking for so many questions.waiting.:……………

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.