Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Rx height (mobile equipment height)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bjushka

Hi everyone,

I am working with a planning tool for a mobile operator, and I have a problem with single coverage calculation for the sites I have. Since I am calculating downlink coverage RX height is required to have a value, in order the calculation to continue. Is anyone familiar with Rx height (m) setting, what value should it have?

Hope I will have an answer.

BR
    bjushka

paraHO

bjushka
    There is useful guidance in GSM0550 and ITU-R P.1546-3.

bjushka

Hi,

I am new with this things, if my location is in Europe and we are using e-gsm, how can I use this guidance? Maybe is an elementary question, but I need some hepl!

thanks in advance

BR
    bjushka

paraHO

bjushka, OK, I understand.

I say yes, but maybe you should confirm for yourself?

ETSI TR 101 115 V8.2.0 (2000-04)
    Digital cellular telecommunications system (Phase 2+); Background for Radio Frequency (RF) requirements (GSM 05.50 version 8.2.0 Release 1999)

RECOMMENDATION ITU-R P.1546-3
    Method for point-to-area predictions for terrestrial services in the frequency range 30 MHz to 3 000 MHz

BR
    paraHO

bjushka

Thanks for the information paraHO, you were very helpful.

BR
    bjushka

pix

hello,

rx height = 1.5m usually
    what does the guidance says ?

cheers
    pix

bjushka

Hi pix,

In the guidance rx height is classified for two areas: urban area ( 1.5 m on the street and 20m for buildings) and rural area (1.5 m on the street and 15m per buildings). So I’m thinking to use these values for Rx height, but I am not quite sure if I need to classify the BTSs according to areas where they are located!!!

BR
    bjushka

pix

Hi,

your RNP tool should offer the possibility to set the RX Height depending on the “clutter”, doesn’t it ?
    that’s probably easier to do, rather than classify the BTS 🙁

pix

paraHO

bjushka
    “but I am not quite sure if I need to classify the BTSs according to areas where they are located!!!”

I would say yes, but I wont suggest how you run your planning tool but perhaps you might want to understand some reasons for classifying BTS located area e.g. how networks react to MSs for radio link management?

If you get time have a look at:

ETSI TR 101 639 V8.0.0 (2000-04)
    Digital cellular telecommunications system (Phase 2+); Radio link management in hierarchical networks (GSM 05.22 version 8.0.0 Release 1999)

Read in the standard about Dwell Time (algorithm description created by France Telecom/CNET)

Also a useful guide: microcell coverage doesn’t go around corners where the microcell-BTS is to be wall-mounted.

Reading about terrain models can help when thinking about BTS installation and location.

One noteworthy model produced by British Telecommunications plc consisted of 10 categories [0-9]:
    Category Description of the Terrain:
    0 Rivers, lakes, and seas
    1 Open rural areas (eg fields and heath-land with few trees)
    2 Rural areas, similar to the above, but with wooded areas
    3 Wooded or forested rural areas
    4 Hilly or mountainous rural areas
    5 Suburban areas, low-density dwellings, and modern industrial estates
    6 Suburban areas, high-density dwellings (eg council estates)
    7 Urban areas with buildings up to four storeys with gaps in-between
    8 Higher density urban areas in which some buildings have more than four storeys
    9 Dense urban areas in which most of the buildings have more than four stories and some can be classed as “skyscrapers”

BR
    paraHO

bjushka

hi,

RX height is default 2 m, as my RNP tool vendor said,the other values are used if I want to calculate coverage for the second floor and so on for the building. So this will be the value I will use. thanks for your help paraHO and pix.

BR
    bjushka

paraHO

bjushka
    2m can be used for ground tests, but that wasn’t your question which was the use of a ‘planning tool’.

But I would suggest you have a read of GSM0522 and the other standards.

BR
    paraHO

bjushka

Hi paraHO,

I had check the standarts and Rx height is used 1.5 m in streets and 10 to 20 for buildings. But if I will use 2 m and I have a good coverage for people on streets, the indoor coverage will be good too!

BR
    bjushka

Pix

Bjushka,

Anyway, your planning tool probably doesn’t handle indoor propagation anyway. I’d stick with 1.5m or 2m (i doubt it makes any difference in the result :)) )

Also, the RNP tool has such a wide uncertainty in the result that the rx height should not be such a concern. More time should be spend calibrating your clutters and your attenuation factors.

cheers
    pix

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.