Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Rxlev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Dali

I’m currently developing application to locate MS in GSM network based on Timing advance of the served cell and Rxlev of neighbor cells. so please could you tell me how neighbor cells send their Rxlev to the MS and what is the difference between the messages BS power control and MS power control

Pix

Dali,

MS is measuring the BCCH level of each neighbour and reporting the 6 strongest to the BSC.
    The neighbours are not “sending” the RxLev.
    Rxlev is a measurement !

different between MS Power control and BS power control

MS PC : it is the Tx Level of the MS, absolute power.
    BS PC : it is the Tx level of the TRX (on that timeslot). The value shown is an “attenuation” compared to the max power of the TRX (= relative power).

pix

Dali

Thank you Pix for your kind answer, i have took traces on the air interface, i find Timing advance value and many differents measures sent by MS but i can’t extract real values, can you please guide me and advice? and does the MS send the RxLev to BSC of the neighbor cells in which format?

pix

hi,

the MS sends measurement reports in UL.
    this message is a list of measurements
    DL RxLev of the serving cell : 0 = -110dBm, 63 = -47dBm (or more)

then all the neighbours :
    index (= 1 to 6) ; BSIC(i) ; DL RxLev(i)

the index is defined by the BSC for each neighbour, for example, cell A is the serving, cell B and C are neighbours. The BSC send in DL (in the SACCH SI2) the list of neighbours and their index :
    cell B BCCH = 47 ; index = 1
    cell C BCCH = 51 ; index = 2
    the index is actually the position of the cell in the neighbour list.

The MS does not report the Timing Advance to the BSC, it is the BSC that sends the current T.A. to the MS (in DL).
    Be sure to look at the correct message, it sounds like you are looking at DL messages…

JACK

HI Dali
    I NEED YOUR APPLICATION AND I CAN HELP YOU TO DEVELOP IT.
    PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR POJECT.
    I THINK GIS IS THE BEST SLOUTON.

Dali

Thank you Pix for your kind answer, @Jack: the aims of the project is to develop application using Java environment, the location of MS in the GSM network using only the TA gived by the serving BTS (we can get the distance from TA) and the RxLEV measured by the MS of the neighbor Cells, but the problem here how to know the distance between the MS and the others neighbor cells basing on the RxLEV only?

Pix

Dali,

It is impossible to compute the distance based on RXLEV only. You need to get the TA for that. That is th whole purpose of the TA.
    If the RXLEV could be translated into TA, then the TA wouldn’t exist 🙂

Cheers$pix

Dali

Thank you Pix for your quick reply, but the neighbor cells didn’t give us the TA, only they inform us about the RXLEV you see?

Pix

Dali,

Yes yes, i understand that 🙂
    Now, you must understand that there is zero correlation between the RxLev and the distance.

The only way would be to force the MS to handover to the neighbour cells. But that is probably impossible to do (only test mobiles are allowed to force these artificial HO… but forcing it on standard phones would seriously degrade the QoS statistics and voice quality !)

You know, 3GPP already worked hard on trying to localize MS. They came up with the GPS positionning features :
    1/ MS is not GPS-capable : the available location of the MS is based on serving cell’s coordinates + serving cell’s TA + sector orientation. That gives a rough idea of where is the MS.
    2/ MS is GPS capable : the BSS asks the MS to retrieve its coordinates by GPS and report them back to the BSS.
    3/ same as 2, but here there is also a GPS server in the BSS, to speed up the GPS localization of the MS.

Cheers
    pix

RF tracker

Dear All,

can anyone explain me obout TNDROP in ericsson system.

BR//

Dali

Hi Pix, can you please tell me, what is the max power emitted by cell, and can you give me the relation between signal attenuation? i mean is there formula? and thx

pix

max cell power = TRX power – Combining losses – Feeder losses – Jumper losses – “Main” losses (TRX/ANC cables & ANC/BTS cables) + Antenna Gain

Typical values :
    Combining loss = 4.5 dB for 1 ANC & 3.5dB for 1 ANY
    Feeder = 6dB loss / 100m
    Jumper = 1dB loss / 1m
    Main = 0.2dB loss / cable
    Antenna Gain = +17dBi

Cell power = 46.5 – 4.5 – 3dB – 2dB – 0.4dB + 17dBi

Cheers
    pix

Dali

Pix Please i will ask you a stupid question :), what is the difference between dBi and dBm? the power measured the MS is in dBi or dbm?

just other point, i find that the attenuation of the power emitted by the BTS is in function of (1/r2) with r is the ray of the BTS magnetic field sphere.

please can you confirm this information and advise

regards,
    Dali

pix

hi dali,

no stupid question, don’t worry 🙂
    dBi is a “gain” from an antenna. It is not a power. Just a difference of power : what is out from the antenna = what is in + the gain.

For example, take one antenna with gain = 15dBi
    if you input 40dBm in the antenna, the output will be 55dBm.

However, you understand that the antenna doesn’t “produce” energy. It just redirects the energy forward, in the front lobe, while it removes energy from side, top, bottom and behind 🙂
    It is a “directional” antenna… and this “gain” comes from the comparison with a “non directional” antenna, also called “isotropic” antenna.

dB also follows the same principle, it is a “gain” or a “loss”, in other words dB is a difference of powers.

dBm is an actual power.
    0dBm = 1mW
    3dBm = 2mW

33dBm = 2W
    36dBm = 4W

Voilà 🙂

Attenuation of power from an antenna, it increases with the distance from the antenna.
    Usually, the attenuation is function of log(d).

… what is r ?
    and what about the magnetic sphere ? I never noticed that antennas acted as giant magnets… :))

Pix

Mania

Great explanation PIx.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.