Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

GPRS/EDGE.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SAM

Dears,

Can anyone explain me for GPRS/EDGE, suppose I have 2TRX in one cell and I have 2 SDCCH and 2 PDCH (1 dedicated and 1 dynamic PDCH). Now my question is only this 2 assigned PDCH will be used for DATA traffic? What will be the data rate for this 2 PDCH (CS1,CS2,CS3,CS4)? If I want to use more TS for DATA if there is no voice load in the cell do I have to increase the number of PDCH ??

pix

hi sam,

yes, only 2 PDCH available in your cell
    the data rate depends on your parameter settings (which system are you using ?)
    yes, you should increase the nuber of dynamic PDCH. In the voice load is low, the PDCH will increase. If voice is high, PDCH are going to decrease.

pix

SAM

Thanks Pix,

We have Siemens system. GPDPDTCHA is the parameter that you are talking?

Thanks.

pix

oh, i don’t know siemens, sorry… the concept is correct, but i cannot translate it in parameters.

cheers
    pix

Mithu

Dear Sam,
    If u use only CS1~CS4(9.05~21.4Kbit/s), for better data rate u have to ensure better radio envoroment.U can also modify the parameter setting GMANMSAL to control the no of MS per PDCH in the cell.
    If u have EDGE license u can enable EEDGE parameter & improve throughput(data rate) by assinging coding scheme MCS1~MCS9(Upto 59.2Kbit/s). By using parameter GPDPDTCHA u can dynamically use cs ts as ps ts. u can assign value 100/50 depends using 100% or 50% of free TCH.

SAM

Thanks Mithu.

NJ

Hi Sam,
    In Siemens the parameter is, for edge: EMANPRESPRM,
    and for gprs:GMANPRESPRM,
    the parameter:GPDPDTCHA is GPRS Percentage of dynamic PDTCH Available,indicates the % of available ‘shared’ tch
    may be used for GPRS traffic.

Hope it can helps.

NJ

pcs

Dear Sam,

In Alcatel, we have 3 types of PDCH. THat is MAX_PDCH, MAX_PDCH_HIGH_LOAD and MIN_PDCH.

MAX_PDCH = Dynamic + Max_High_LoadPDCH (>=Max_highLoadPDCH)

MAX_PDCH_HIGH_LOAD = >=Min_PDCH
    Min_PDCH = Dedicated PDCH

Example : Min_PDCH = 2, MAX_PDCH_HIGH_LOAD = 3, MAX_PDCH = 6

It means ==> 2 PDCHs are only for data, can’t be seized by TCH, but when PDCH access increase, max PDCH can be used is 6 pdch. If PDCH utilized are 3 PDCHs (Max-PDCH_HighLoad), that 1 PDCH can’t be seized by TCH. But IF PDCH utilized is 4, 5, or 6, only 3 PDCHs can be seized by TCH, but not the 3 others.
    When PDCH numbers seized reach the minimum number of MAX_PDCH_HIGH_LOAD,then those PDCHs are unable to be used for TCH.

From my Experience, it doesn’t matter if we want to increase the PDCH Number if the voice traffic is low.

The speed/data rate of GPRS/EDGE also depends on Abis capcity. There is a mappign of PDCH allocation and Abis TS.

In Alcatel, sites which have high GPRS/EDGE access are added 1 E1 Abis (max 2 Abis), then we allocate Abis TS for Data only, especially in 2nd abis. That will significantly increase the data access speed.

Regrads,

PCS

DKS

Hi PCS,
    Will you give some light on the PDCH mapping on Abis link. How it is defined what is the calculation beyond this.

DKS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.