Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Which is the best polarization?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rubel

Dear,

Can any one pls help me which polarization is good in the rain zone and why?

Regards
    Rubel

Pix

Rubel,

I’ve never read anything about a polarization that works better under the rain, but someone else knows perhaps better than i do.

Rain drops are spherical, so they offer the same shape whichever angle you look at it 🙂

Prabeen

Hey Pix,

Might be rain DROPS are spherical. But not a heavy rain dude. N thats y they calculate intensity of rain in centimeters n not in radius. Am i right????

Polarization – Hmmm i dont think there is a relation between polarization and rain. A cross polarized antenna is much preferred. Wild guess.

Pix

Prabeen,

Your explanation doesn’t make any sense at all, so I assume it is a joke ??

When you talk about rain intensity measurement in “centimeters”, you know that the cm (or mm, usually) just refer to the height of water that falled onto the ground… not the actual size of the rain drops.

Imagine a rain drop of 5cm, you could drown in that ! Or at least lost an eye…
    And finally… just for the sake of it : radius can be measured in cm 😉

Rubel,

Open this URL, interesting investigation of rain vs radio propagation :

nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/4711/1/IJRSP%2036(6)%20502-513.pdf

best regards,
    pix

Paras

Best polarisation in rain is Vertical.

fading due to rain drops is lesser in V pol than in H pol coz in H pol electromagnetic waves travels horizontally and rain drops falls on it fades the signal.

AliAsgher

Limiting my discussion to GSM only, say till GSM1900 frequencies, the wavelength is still large enough (~157 cm) to be affected by a rain drop.

For higher frequency bands (in the range 10GHz or higher, the link posted by Pix seems good)

Pix

Ali,

Wavelength for GSM900 is 32cm !
    16.7cm for DCS1800

For GSM, experiments show an attenuation of around 3dB when there is heavy rain.
    But they don’t mention polarization.

-pix

AliAsgher

Thanks Pix. :)Seems I forgot a decimal in my below post.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.