Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

The simplest question – MC14a (Alcatel)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    lily

Dear Pix,
    Dear all!
    The weirdest situation: I can’t find counter MC14a (type110 for cells) in RNO… It presents in PM browser (in OMC-R) but it absent in RNO – how could it be??
    It’s full name NB_TCH_DROP_HO_PREP_EXEC_FAIL_BSS_PB, so it must be between
    NB_TCH_DROP_EST_PHAS_BSS_PB (MC14c)
    And
    NB_TCH_DR_REQ (MC701c)
    But it’s absent..
    This counter isn’t contained by any of our KPI, but today I have excellent experience that it affects on subscribers (we’ve got dozens of complaints from one certain village – our BTS is located just there – they couldn’t have established calls). All KPI were good as usual (Imm_Ass_Succ_Rate, SDCCH phase and TCH_Ass_Successful) and only later I found out that beginning of problems strict coincides with abrupt increasing of MC14a on two cells (that very BTS). To be true, it seems strange to me – MC14a connects with HO procedure, but why did they have problems with call establishment? But it’s the second question.
    And my first wish was to check this counter for all our cells – and I can’t found MC14a in RNO.
    Please, help to clarify this situation.
    Many many thanks in advance

Pix

Hello Lily,

Don’t you ever go on holidays ?? 🙂 I’m glad I don’t, so I can learn from your (impossibly weird) problems.

You are in release B9 and unfortunately you are RIGHT. This counter and the associated indicator are not available in the RNO tool. They are in the NPO B10 though. It is well defined in the configuration file of RNO, so I don’t understand why it is not imported.

Please find the full description in my next post.

And please highlight this problem to your TAC…

Once thing : the counter is incremented either on target or on servng cell, depending on when the problem was (before the HO or after)
    So my first step would be to analyse the HO Flow, see whether the drop is during an incoming HO or outgoing HO, between which cells, and since when…

Well, your question was about localizing this counter : your alphabetical skills are fantastic, because it is indeed exactly where you said it should be…. but in NPO B10 :))

Cheers,
    Pix

Pix

Definition

Number of TCH (in HR or FR usage) drops due to BSS problem during any TCH handover preparation and execution phases.
    This counter is incremented on the cell on which the problem occurs(In the case of internal inter-cell handovers, it is not incremented on both serving and target cell). For problems that are not related to a specific cell, the counter related to the serving cell will be incremented.
    It may happen that several causes of failures mentioned below are detected consecutively. In that case, the counter will only be incremented once, as soon as the handover procedure fails.

Pix

Trigger condition

1) Whenever the BSC receives on Abis interface from the target cell negative acknowledgment to the TCH channel activation involved in the handover procedure.
    2) Whenever the timer supervising the Channel Activation procedure (T9103) expires on the target cell during activation of a TCH channel involved in the handover procedure.
    3) Whenever an 48.058 ERROR REPORT message with a cause value of ‘O&M intervention’ is received on Abis interface from either the serving or the target cell during the external or internal inter-cell handover procedure and leads to a transaction failure.
    4) Whenever an 48.058 ERROR REPORT message with a cause value of ‘O&M intervention’ is received on Abis interface on either the old or the new channel during the internal intra-cell handover procedure and leads to a transaction failure.
    5) Whenever an 48.058 ERROR REPORT message on SAPI 0 with a cause value of ‘message sequence error’ is received on Abis interface from the serving cell between the sending of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION message and the reception of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION ACKNOWLEDGMENT during the internal inter-cell TCH handover and leads to a transaction failure.
    6) Whenever an 48.058 ERROR REPORT message on SAPI 0 with a cause value of ‘message sequence error’ is received on Abis interface on the old channel between the sending of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION message and the reception of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION ACKNOWLEDGE during the internal intra-cell TCH handover and leads to a transaction failure.
    7) Whenever a LAPD failure related to either serving or target cell is reported to the Layer 3 of the BSC (for an RSL supporting a TCH transaction for handover purpose) and leads to a transaction failure.
    8) Whenever an TCH handover abortion is initiated by the BSS O&M FAULT MANAGEMENT application part or by the BSS TELECOM application part as the result of a system defense action which may be due to BSS equipment failures external to the BSC (e.g. RSL failure or CU recovery failure), or due to BSC internal hardware problems (e.g. TCU failure or DTC failure) or due to BSC internal software problems (e.g. inconsistencies detected between software modules or lack of software resources (memory, timer reference, file reference…) or communication problems between different processor boards).
    9) Whenever a 48.058 CONNECTION FAILURE INDICATION message with a cause value of ‘remote transcoder failure’ is received on Abis interface from the old channel between the sending of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION message and the reception of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION ACKNOWLEDGE during an internal intra-cell or inter-cellTCH handover procedure and leads to a transaction failure.

Notes :
    1. TCH handover failures which are due to O&M operator actions on BTS or BSC should not be counted. Indeed, in case of numerous failures due to O&M commands, this counter will overestimate failures which are due to problems which are internal to the BSS.
    However, due to the current implementation which does not allow to be aware of the origin of the failure, O&M operator actions will also be counted.
    2. It may happen that the counter can not be incremented since it is implemented within the faulty entity.

Pix

So contact the TAC about both problems :
    why MC14a not in RNO B9 ?
    and about the high amount of mc14a.

Perhaps you could try to delete and recreate the BTS and the cells in the OMC-R, as a quick workaround (if it works !?)
    But in any case, ask them to check it out for you.

lily

Good morning, Pix!
    🙂 ) )
    Thanks a million for you help, thanks for info, your answer is very detailed, everything is clear now.
    I’ve prepared a letter to our TAC, I hope they can help with this “escaped” counter 🙂 I’ve found out that problem appeared after HR activation on this cell and, to be true, solving this problem turned out to be much easier than its detecting. I was ready to start recreation of these cells – but I found out that problem didn’t exist any more (the only thing had been done with these 2 cells was lock/unlock tres and ancd s 🙂
    It would be very interesting to perform a drive-test on these cells when problem was existing in order to see how this situation looks exactly (through L3 messages), but the time has gone 🙂

Once more – many many thanks!
    Have a nice day!

Pix

Hi,

How could you forgot such an ALU trick : if QoS degrades suddenly lock / unlock the hardware. In 99% of cases, it solves the issue 🙂

If problem persists, then (and only then) post on erlang.com

🙂

But anyway thanks a lot for putting my eyes on the MC14a, I forgot about it and it doesn’t appear in our B10 trainings. It should…

lily

Oo-o-h, I remember about such Alcatel tricks 🙂 very painful tricks I must say 🙂 this was not a news for me, but absence such important counter in RNOO – it was very unexpected 🙁 I couldn’t believe so therefore I wrote here, and thanks to you guys from Alcatel TAC have work again :)))

lily

Sorry for disturbing you again, Pix!
    B10 appeared on our horizon 🙂 So one more question: can we use our old-fashioned RNO with B10 or it must be replaced to NPO?
    Thanks a lot!

Pix

RNO doesn’t work in B10
    NPA doesn’t work in B10

Only NPO works in B10 (and it works also in B9!!).
    Typically, an operator will start using NPO before the migration to B10, on their B9 network.

ali khan

i have voipswiech i have too terid this problem {IP number not allewod }could any body tell how i solve this problem .

Aks

Hi Pix, Seeing your valuable comments since long back & learned a lot from them…Thanx for such guidance…
    I am working in ALU enviornment with B10 Version.
    I need help to improve my HOSR & Call Drop Rate..Can you put light on some tips & parameters to play with..

pix

aks, your question is very general. So my answer will be very general too :
    read generic customer doc (available in OMCR)
    learn indicators and parameters
    attend alcatel university trainings
    and rock n roll.

regards
    pix

ALU

Dear All,
    I want to know the significance of MC14a and howcome it is not used in any of the indicators for call drop/ handover failures due to bss on the cell level?

Ian

This is what i have here in B10 :

MC14a: NB_TCH_DROP_HO_PREP_EXEC_FAIL_BSS_PB_PM110:

Number of TCH (in HR or FR usage) drops due to BSS problem during any TCH handover preparation and execution phases. This counter is incremented on the cell on which the problem occurs(In the case of internal inter-cell handovers, it is not incremented on both serving and target cell). For problems that are not related to a specific cell, the counter related to the serving cell will be incremented. It may happen that several causes of failures mentioned below are detected consecutively. In that case, the counter will only be incremented once, as soon as the handover procedure fails. This counter takes into account handovers from TCH in traffic or in signaling mode. 1) Whenever the BSC receives on Abis interface from the target cell negative acknowledgment to the TCH channel activation involved in the handover procedure. 2) Whenever the timer supervising the Channel Activation procedure (T9103) expires on the target cell during activation of a TCH channel involved in the handover procedure. 3) Whenever an 48.058 ERROR REPORT message with a cause value of “OandM intervention” is received on Abis interface from either the serving or the target cell during the external or internal inter-cell handover procedure and leads to a transaction failure. 4) Whenever an 48.058 ERROR REPORT message with a cause value of “OandM intervention” is received on Abis interface on either the old or the new channel during the internal intra-cell handover procedure and leads to a transaction failure. 5) Whenever an 48.058 ERROR REPORT message on SAPI 0 with a cause value of “message sequence error” is received on Abis interface from the serving cell between the sending of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION message and the reception of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION ACKNOWLEDGMENT during the internal inter-cell TCH handover and leads to a transaction failure. 6) Whenever an 48.058 ERROR REPORT message on SAPI 0 with a cause value of “message sequence error” is received on Abis interface on the old channel between the sending of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION message and the reception of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION ACKNOWLEDGE during the internal intra-cell TCH handover and leads to a transaction failure. 7) Whenever a LAPD failure related to either serving or target cell is reported to the Layer 3 of the BSC (for an RSL supporting a TCH transaction for handover purpose) and leads to a transaction failure. 8) Whenever an TCH handover abortion is initiated by the BSS OandM FAULT MANAGEMENT application part or by the BSS TELECOM application part as the result of a system defense action which may be due to BSS equipment failures external to the BSC (e.g. RSL failure or CU recovery failure), or due to BSC internal hardware problems (e.g. TCU failure or DTC failure) or due to BSC internal software problems (e.g. inconsistencies detected between software modules or lack of software resources (memory, timer reference, file reference…) or communication problems between different processor boards). 9) Whenever a 48.058 CONNECTION FAILURE INDICATION message with a cause value of “remote transcoder failure” is received on Abis interface from the old channel between the sending of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION message and the reception of the 48.058 CHANNEL ACTIVATION ACKNOWLEDGE during an internal intra-cell or inter-cellTCH handover procedure and leads to a transaction failure. Notes : 1. TCH handover failures which are due to OandM operator actions on BTS or BSC should not be counted. Indeed, in case of numerous failures due to OandM commands, this counter will overestimate failures which are due to problems which are internal to the BSS. However, due to the current implementation which does not allow to be aware of the origin of the failure, OandM operator actions will also be counted. 2. It may happen that the counter can not be incremented since it is implemented within the faulty entity. 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.