Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Very Very Urgent (Frequency Scan)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    User_2010

Dear Guys
    I have one question about frequency scan with TEMS. During scan phone works as a scanner. If you are in the border between two countries (operators use the same frequencies of the both countries). For example I put to phone SIM of my operator and start to scan. I think I will see the strongest signal (selected frequencies), doesn’t matter from which operator. Right or not??? Even MCC & MNC selected.

Please confirm, am I right in this situation or not???

Pix

The TEMS scanner just scans, no matter which MNC or MCC.

I think it even works without the SIM card, doesn’t it?

User_2010

Ok, but when the phone is in “Idle Mode” and it measures signals. For examp.
    ARFCN RxLev
    2 -62
    8 -72
    16 -78
    54 -84

But in the same place we scan frequencies and can see more strongest signals:

Freq. RxLev
    1 -78
    2 -62
    3 -83
    4 -75
    5 -86
    Why phone cann’t measure the same signals in Idle Mode. I mean in TEMS.

Thanks

Pix

I see that frequency 2 is at -62dBm, in the scan and in the idle mode.
    all other frequencies are different so you can’t compare.

User_2010

I don’t want to compare, just my question is: for example:

in the same place phone can scan signal -78dbm (freq:1), but in Idle Mode cann’t measure this signal. Also all this band is belongs to the same Operator.

Pix

It means that freq 1
    a/ either it is not a BCCH
    b/ or it is a BCCH, but then it means it is not defined as a neighbour of the cell on which you’re camping on.

MS can scan the signal, but it is not reported by the MS in the measurements in idle mode.

User_2010

Thanks Pix

So it means

1. In scan mode the phone scans all broadcasting signals (TCHs & BCCHs).

2. But in Idle Mode the phone measures only BCCHs.

Pix

Yes 🙂

2. / Only BCCH’s that are included in the neighbour list

User_2010

I think
    In idle mode the phone measures all BCCHs, not only neighbour cells. It measures neighbour cells only in dedicated mode. Right?

Thyanks

Edo

Yups,,you’re right.

Pix

No, you are not correct.
    The Ms will listen only to neighbour BCCHs which are listed in the SI5 and SI5ter of the current serving cell.

Only when the MS is switched on, it MAY scan all frequencies in order to find the strongest available/authorized BCCH.

User_2010

Ok Pix Thanks
    Many time I see cells in TEMS, but these cells were not defined as adjacent. I mean in IDLE mode. How is it possible in your case.

AliAsgher

The cell’s BCCH is included in IDLE MF List. Thatswhy in TEMS you are seeing those BCCHs and their RXlevels, because MS is trying to listen to all BCCH present in Idle MF list of current serving cell.

Pix

User2010,

TEMS is not a standard MS 🙂 You should have said that you were using TEMS in the first post 🙂

In tems, yes, all frequencies are scanned, even if they are not neighbours. But the ones which are neighbours have a certain colour, aren’t they ? (i’m really not sure anymore)

Cheers,
    Pix

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.