Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

ZERO Packet Paging

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bhai Log

Hi,
    Can someone tell me what feature of GPRS / EDGE will not be working if there is no Packet Pagaing in a BSC. i.e what is the purpose of Packet Paging. + Probable causes of ZERO packet paging?

Pix

PS Paging is a mandatory message.

It has the same purpose as CS PAging : a MS can be paged by the entwork in order to establish a GPRS connection.

Zero packet paging means that all users are establishing their own TBF. There is no case in which a MS is paged by the NSS in order to open a data connection.

Now, if there are low bandwidth / long time connection (such as MSN messenger), during which the user can remain inactive for quite a while, until somebody sends him a message –> that could lead to GPRS paging.
    Same thing with Push to talk, I assume the called party will be reached thanks to a GPRS Paging.

Bhai Log

Any Idea what could be causing it (ZERO PS PAging). We dont have the GS Interface and Network Mode is set to 2 i.e in GPRS active mode ms when paged does not respond as it is doing packet transactions.

Pan

Dear, Bhai Log! As far as you are using Network Operation Mode = 2, then there is no Packet Paging Channel in your network (only paging channel) and hence the subscriber is paged for GPRS services on CCCH. Are you offer to your subscribers any GPRS services which require GPRS Paging)?

Pan

…sorry for message segmentation
    – WeB browsing and mail? – no paging.

Pan

– WAP services? – no paging.

Pan

– incoming MMS? – may be realized without GPRS paging (by means of MT_SMS with WAP push).
    What else?

Pan

Dear, Moderator! Why you don’t love ‘mobile term^inating MMS’??? it is only words, – not MMS itself.

Pix

Pan,

Packet Paging are carried by PCH (on BCCH).

A Packet Paging might occur (rarely, I agree), if the subscriber have sent an UL data, and the internet is taking time to answer.
    The UL TBF is released, the DL TBF is not yet allocated, the MS is entering in Packet Idle Mode. Only a Paging can wake him up, so that it can prepare for the DL incoming data 🙂

But I agree, it happens rarely.

Pan

Probably, you are right, Pix:) But when MS is in READY state the network does not page MS because it knows the cell where MS is located. And DL TBF is established by means of Packet Downlink Assignment procedure.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.