Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Ivann

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BS Power Control in Alcatel

Dear all, dear Pix!
    Anoter question about Alcatel BSS ๐Ÿ™‚
    As I know, BS_PC is inhibited on BCCH frequency (B9 – Introduction to radio fine tuning, page 84 ), but I’ve noticed in RNO (QoS rep. Alc_Mono_Power …) that it works even on BCCH tre. And it’s not a unique cell – there are a lot of cells like that. Or maybe PC is inhibited only on BCCH timeslot?

BR,

Pix

I think you are using BBH hopping ?
    In this case, one timeslot in the BCCH TRE is using different frequencies, not only BCCH.

Only the timeslots which are carried onto the BCCH frequency are emiotted at full power.
    If BBH is enabled, then those timeslots will change each TDMA frame.
    Only TS0 of TRX1 is at full power all the time.
    Other TS will be at full power only when they’re hopping onto the bcch frequency.If there are 4 TRX, the TS5 of TRX1 will be transmitted at (one letter = 1 TDMA frame)
    H-L-L-L-H-L-L-L-H-L-L-L-H-L-L-L…

H = max power
    L = “power controlled” power

Ivann

Dear Pix,
    Yes, we use BBH for 900MHz cells and Synthesizer hopping (RH) for 1800MHz cell. We saw this situation in both cases. But as I remember in BBH each tre emits its own frequency permanently and MS is leaping between tres? In RH our BCCH also doesn’t hop – so, I became confused ๐Ÿ™

Pix

In case of RH:
    BCCH TRE is always emitting at full power. So BS TXPWR always = Max. But MS TXPWR can be decreased (thx to UL PC).

In case of BBH:
    the MS doesn’t hop between different TRX : each TS will hop onto different frequencies. This is called “synthetized” BBH ๐Ÿ™‚ it’s alcatel-lucent solution.
    therefore, in bbh, even the bcch trx will lower its power, during the TDMA frames emitted onto non-BCCH frequencies.

Ivann

Dear Pix,
    great shame on me ๐Ÿ™ I had different point of view about BBH (particulary in Alcatel) :((
    Therefore some more questions:)
    in case of TCH-tre:
    We have FHS1 for TSs from 1 to 7 (the same MAIO) and FHS2 for TS0 (and corresponding MAIO). FHS2 containes less frequences than FHS1 (without BCCH). So TSs from 1 to 7 must be emitted on the same frequency within one frame, aren’t they? And during one frame tre emits two frequencies – one while TS0 and another – while the rest of TSs, doesn’t it? Can we say that certain connection is served by one certain carrier unit/tre (if we have no intracell HO)in this cell?

Pix

Hi Ivann,

We have FHS1 for TSs from 1 to 7 (the same MAIO) and FHS2 for TS0 (and corresponding MAIO). FHS2 containes less frequences than FHS1 (without BCCH). So TSs from 1 to 7 must be emitted on the same frequency within one frame, aren’t they?

— YES

And during one frame tre emits two frequencies – one while TS0 and another – while the rest of TSs, doesn’t it?

—- YES

Can we say that certain connection is served by one certain carrier unit/tre (if we have no intracell HO)in this cell?

— If MS is allocate on the TRX3 / TS5 then it will stay there (unless call release or handover). Physically, the call is always handled by the same TRE. But each TDMA frame, the frequency used is modified. Basically, the same TS is used, but with different frequencies.
    The frequencies are changing within the same timeslot ๐Ÿ™‚

Ivann

Dear Pix, thanks a lot for your patience ๐Ÿ™‚
    So there is no much difference between BBH and RH (except BCCH-tre, of course) – they use same principle (basically).
    But now I can’t understand this part of “Alcatel BSS description”:
    … Synthesized Frequency Hopping functions in a similar fashion to Baseband
    Frequency Hopping, but is performed at a different location. Instead of
    switching each time slot between traffic channels, the channel assigned to a
    time slot is assigned to a fixed Carrier Unit (or TRE).
    The Carrier Unit/TRE changes frequency with each TDMA frame in accordance
    with the HSN algorithm selected, in the same manner as above. Thus, instead
    of the channel hopping from one fixed transceiver to another, the transceiver
    itself hops from one frequency to another, in both cases, according to the
    algorithm and parameters selected.
    Synthesized Frequency Hopping has the advantage of allowing an FHS to
    contain one more frequency than the number of Carrier Units/TREs in the
    system. This is particularly useful in some microcellular applications where only
    one transceiver is available for Frequency Hopping.
    Note: Normally, in both Frequency Hopping schemes (Baseband and Synthesized),
    time slot 0 (TS0) is not available for Frequency Hopping. This is because
    it carries the BCCH, which must always be at maximum power and on a
    frequency known to mobile stations in Idle mode in the cell…

And questions:
    1) What does it mean – “Instead of switching each time slot between traffic channels”? In BBH we have a certain TS on certain tre – and each frame this TS is emitted on different frequencies the procedure is similaar to RH,as I understand.
    2) “Thus, instead
    of the channel hopping from one fixed transceiver to another, the transceiver
    itself hops from one frequency to another, in both cases, according to the
    algorithm and parameters selected.” It sounds like that: in BBH channel (and consequently – MS) hops between different transceivers. But maybe I’m not right :(((

Pix

Ivann,

How old is this document ??

This is not true anymore !

Or if it is true, it means I’m wrong… and i just can’t be wrong about this ๐Ÿ™‚ I need some time to find the proof though…

rob

hello i saw your discussion and i like it ,
    i would like to ask what is the immediate assignment success rate for alcatel b9.
    need your support

Pix

it’s probably equivalent to the Alcatel-Lucent indicator called “SDCCH ASSIGNMENT UNSUCCESS RATE”.

rob

Thank u pix can i have detail formula for SDCCH ASSIGNMENT UNSUCCESS RATE

Ivann

Dear Pix,
    I trust you more than any of docs ๐Ÿ™‚
    This document is called “BSS system description”, the part of “B9 Field Procedure Documentation”. The question is important to me bacause this book is reffered very often by my colleagues (and by me too – before ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks a million for your help !!!

Ivann

Dear Pix
    I hope I didn’t look impolite or incredulous in this discussion ๐Ÿ™‚
    I’m really grateful to you :)))

Pix

Ivann, you’re really nice, no problem at all ๐Ÿ™‚

The BBH in ALU is just as what I said :

in BTS product description:

Synthesizer frequency hopping
    Synthesizer frequency hopping (or so-called radio frequency hopping) is supported by the whole
    BTS range, its use being optional. Two frequency hopping modes are available:

– Standard RF hopping mode: A cell with N TRXs can have N-1 TRXs hopping (the TRX carrying
    the BCCH is not hopping), on M frequencies (M usually > N).
    – Pseudo baseband RF hopping mode: A cell with N TRXs can have all its N TRXs hopping on N
    frequencies.

————
    conclusion : it’s pseudo BBH ๐Ÿ™‚

i won’t look further, because i’m sure of what i’m saying. In old alcatel docs, this wasn’t true (G1 BTS didn’t work this way, G2 neither, perhaps)

Your doc is not updated, probably alcatel didn’t care about updating it… you can raise the concern to your TPM, so alcatel updates this doc…

Ivann

The truth about BBH in Alcatel became a revelation in our department ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.