Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Inter PLMN Handovers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    slim

Hi all,

Is there a special radio parameters tunning to alow inter PLMN handovers or it’s a NSS level tunning or both at the same time ?
    How do inter PLMN handovers occur?

Yours

Pix

No special BSS parameter (AFAIK), just ensure your neighbours are properly defined in the OMC-R (as external).

But it could be vendor dependent… what are you using?

slim

We ara using 2G ALU BSS.

My question is that those inter PLMN HO occur in what ondition?A drop in PLMN 1 because of loss of coverage and then a selection of an other cell belonging to another PLMN or before the drop?

How can we define HO with an other PLMN (another 2G operator) ?

Pix

A drop means the call is stopped. Then, a reselection can occur, but it’s not considered as a HO.

So a interPLMN HO is just a standard HO, but towards a neighbour that belongs to a different PLMN. The triggering conditions are the same as for intra-plmn HO.

The activation steps are:
    1/ PLMN definition in the OMC-R
    2/ Adjacency links for handovers
    to define handover adjacency links towards an external cell belonging to a foreign PLMN.
    NCC_PERMITTED–> must be tuned to accept the new NCC !!
    3/ Adjacency links for cell reselection
    4/ CGI_REQD shall be set to “CGI used”

In the NSS, i don’t know what shall be done.

slim

Thanks Pix for the clarifications given
    I want to khnow the setting that we must implement to allow ,after loss of coverage in PLMN1 and thus a drop in PLMN1 ,a selection of the new PLMN (PLMN2) and a call set up on it till end of communication.

SO our goal in that the user continue establishing his communications when there’s no coverage of our PLMN(PLMN1)

Pix

Same steps as above, but define the adjacency for “reselection only”, not for “handover and reselection”

that’s all.

Slim

But Pix , in case of network availibility for the two operators at the same time , the MS will choose the best in term of coverage (Rxlev received) and can connect on the other PLMN (not the ours)?

Pix

MS shall try to connect to its HPLMN first. But i agree that as soon as you give the possibility during the reselection, you can’t really know what is the MS going to do.
    (sw implementation is not always perfect…)

But in your case, you don’t need reselection ! Sorry, I didn’t notice earlier, but if you’re OK with a drop, a network loss and then a selection, you don’t need to define any inter PLMN behaviour in your BSS.

In the SIM card, the other PLMN shall be in the list of authorized PLMNs though.

The MS will automaticaly select another PLMN (the vPLMN) if the HPLMN is not available. The problem is that sometimes, the MS doesn’t come back to the HPLMN, if the vPLMN is still available.

Slim

Thanks a lot Pix

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.