Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

TIMERS – Implicit IMSI Detach, VLR purge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Viki

Hello colleagues.
    We have a few problems in the netork while changing Implicit IMSI Detach timer, VLR purge timer.
    What are the value of these timers in your networks? Are there any recomendations, standarts, tips?

Thank you in advance

Viki

Hey, really nobody has any information? ๐Ÿ™

Pix

The only thing I know is that the implicit detach timer should be greater than the T3212 (BSS LU timer), more than twice the value, to be on the safe side… (to be confirmed / discussed by NSS Gurus)

Implicit IMSI Detach timer > 2 x T3212

Cheers,
    Pix

Viki

Thank you Pix!

NSS Gurus, any idea, please?

Pan

Dear, Viki!
    VLR purging is triggered rather by some events than timer expiration. It is vendor specific event. For example, VLR was filled on 80%. After that, VLR may purges all subscribers which were inactive more than 5 days.

Pix

What about the Implicit Detach timer in VLR ?

Pan

Hello, Pix! Glad to meet you again:} You already said that a value of Implicit Detach timer is derived from periodic location update timer (must be greater, but it is not mandatorily be greater more than 2 times). I have no more to say.

Pix

Hi Pan,

So we meet again… (western music…) :ยฐ

Actually, you gave an example that VLR would detach subscribers after 5 days… but the Implicit detach timer is certainly less than one day, isn’t it? At the expiry of this timer, isn’t the subscriber cleared from the VLR ?

(I might sound a bit ignorant about VLR… that’s probably because I am !!)

Pan

Hello, Pix!
    VLR purging and Implicit Detach are independent procedures in a VLR. They are used to avoid unwanted signalling load on network (paging and signalling between HLR and VLR) when subscriber is unreachable a long time. In our network Implicit Detach Timer may be changed from 6 min. to 30 hours. When Implicit Detach timer expires than subscriber is detached but isn’t cleared from VLR. When VLR purges subscriber, then it deletes his entry and sends Purge message to HLR.

Pix

Pan, ok, that’s clear now. thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Viki

Hello Pan!
    Thank you for the information.
    You said you configure the Implicit Detach Timer in your network with different value varying from 6 min to 30 hours. What could be a reason to have the defferent values over the network?
    I believe it is better to have it the same on the all elements, isn’t it?
    By the way, what value of the Purge timer you have? What will happen with a MS wich was Detached or Purged when this MS became available?

Pan

Hi Viki!
    I didn’t say that we have different Implicit Detach Timer values ๐Ÿ™‚ I said that the range from 6 min to 30 hours is allowed in our equipment.
    About VLR purge – see my post from 9 Jun 2009. It is fixed value in our equipment.
    When MS becames available it performs ordinary idle mode procedures (celection/reselection, periodic location updating). When the first contact with network takes place then MS is marked in VLR as attach once again wit location registration procedures triggering between VLR and HLR.

Viki

Hi, Pan.
    Yes, you are right ๐Ÿ™‚
    Interersting case when a MS went out of coverage, in a while it was purged from the VLR and after this it gets the coverege at the same place. During this time the MS was not turned off and on. So there could be only periodic Location Update for the VLR where it was purged. How it will be treated by the VLR?

Pan

Hello, Viki! If MS returned under the coverage of the same Location Area without switch off/switch on procedures then Purge state in the VLR and HLR is stored until any outgoing activities of that MS takes place (periodic LU, MOC, MO_SM etc). After that VLR sends LR request to the HLR and the latter inserts subscriber’s data in the VLR.

Viki

Should not the record of this MS be deleted from the VLR and TMSI released? In this case if it is possible to make a MO call for this MS? There should be Location Update procedure, shouldn’t it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.