Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Authentication–MOS call

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rizwan

Hi,

Do we require Authentication every time call is originated from Mobile and if it is not required in which cases does Authentication is to be done?

Also if we do selective Authentication,how does it will impact call set-up time & is it a considerable one?

Pix

Authentication is quite fast, I’m not sure it is something that will greatly improve your call setup duration.

You should be able to measure the duration thx to a drive test.

About the other questions, I leave it to NSS gurus 🙂

paraHO

Very mature networks not run Authentication per every call but for speed rely on previous TMSI so long mobile remains in LAC same.

pix

hello paraho,

so … for those networks, authentication is done during the location update only, but not during call setup ?

is it really to gain few ms in the setup duration, or rather, unload the AuC / HLR ?

paraHO

hello pix

authentication is not just at location update and during call setup call but also in cases of errors….etc

Using TMSI help with internal processing. Some networks using TMSI for 24-hours where MS not move outside LAC area.

It can be used where there is high load/processing issues.

Rizwan

Tnx Pix n ParaHO

As per my knowledge, Auth is done for just for securing user info..ciphering etc

If Auth is not done even when MS moves to other LAC. Does it impact? n if it will, how?

Rizwan

Kindly help ……

Tnx Pix n ParaHO

As per my knowledge, Auth is done for just for securing user info..ciphering etc

If Auth is not done even when MS moves to other LAC. Does it impact? n if it will, how?

Pix

Hi,

it’s up to the network to require authentication. If the MSC doesn’t ask the authentication request, then the MS won’t get authentified.

In this case (that’s a strategy chosen by operator), the procedure will continue as if the MS was succesfully authentified.

The ciphering is done few messages after : ciphering mode command, ciphering mode confirm, where the MS and the NSS exchange cipher key.

Regards
    pix

paraHO

Pix you said

– it’s up to the network to require authentication. If the MSC doesn’t ask the authentication request, then the MS won’t get authentified.

– The ciphering is done few messages after : ciphering mode command, ciphering mode confirm, where the MS and the NSS exchange cipher key.

That is fine provided network operator uses ciphering. What about countries where ciphering not implemented… Would auth be required each time or if not are you saying operator solely rely on IMSI request per call?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.