Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

GSM 200 kHZ bandwidth

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    RFOptimizer

Hey All, my question is: why is the bandwidth for a single GSM channel equal to 200 kHz? Why couldnt it have been more or less? What are the factors that govern this?

Thanks/

Pix

Hello,

One channel is separated by 200kHz from its adjacent channel. The carrier itself has a very precise frequency. I don’t really like the term “bandwidth” in GSM, when talking about frequency, but that’s just me.

200kHz was chosen in order to provide enough room between channels to avoid interference – without the need of expensive filters in the TRX.

MKT

Interesting …….

Why?

We don’t know what was given to “them”.

Whether 200KHz BW was given and “rest” are to be calculated?

OR

Whether the “rest” was GIVEN and MINIMUM BW needed is to be ANSWERED??

Regards

MKT

“rest”= Selection of Speech codecs, Bit Rate at Air interface etc..

“Them”= ETSI

sabah

silent call

we have silent call in some sites please we need to now the real reason for it

Ds

Hi Pix,

thanks for the ans.
    in my opinion,requirement of expensive filters would have come later.
    initially y 200khz was choosen, must have some other ans/technical calculation.

paraHO

The question about TDMA surely as GSM adopted it.

TDMA uses 200 kHz per radio channel in comparison to analogue cellular allocations btw 12.5 kHz – 30 kHz. TDMA reduces the allocation each traffic channel to 200 kHz / 8 = 25 kHz, roughly equal to typical analogue system. This perhaps tell us TMDA lloked to some quality and features over simply increased capacity. I suppose to put use the same approach for use for analogue systems would require significant increase bandwidth for analogue systems making it inefficient to operate maybe?

GSM as I seem to remember want ‘efficency’ as spec’d at the outset to prove digital communications introduced an enhanced pan-european digital service over localised and diverse analogue systems.

Quality those has its price. TDMA structure gives more capacity (when compare with analogue). MS burst every 4.615ms has underlying freq 216.6 Hz (1/4615ms) which is an audible range and frequency can be heard on radio/music system speakers etc – so risks and nuisances need to be designed out but costs to do that.

BR

prashant gaur

How we calculate the erlang?

KIRAN

GSM system uses 200 KHz BW for each carrier. The target SNR at cell
    edge is 5 dB (for voice delivery). Find the cell radius for the case when BS
    transmitter power Pt = 10 watts for LOS and non-LOS cases, respectively.
    Assume ht = 10m and hr = 1:5m, fc = 800MHz.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.