Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

2G to 3G reselection problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    INDRANIL

Hi experts,

I am facinf one problem in our network during launching 3G network:

in Sony Ericsson handset K660i
    if u latch on 2G coverage area & select manual network selection the UE cant register into 3G network.But, if the UE latches on
    3G network, it can easily register into 2G network (manual network selection).But, for other handsets 2g to 3g camp-on & vice-versa happening at ease.
    Pls suggest what would be the cause & how to rectify it.

BR//
    Indranil

Pix

It sounds like this particular mobile does not work properly… Mr. Pan can certainly help you with this, let’s hope he’ll come around.

regards,
    pix

Indranil

Thanks Pix, for your response.can u give me mr. Pans email id.

BR//

paraHO

There have been a few problems with K660i needed software upgrade.

Pan

Dear, Pix and INDRANIL! Many thanks for your trust to me ๐Ÿ™‚ But I can’t to say more than Pix already said. If INDRANIL inserts the same SIM card in all mobile and only K660i was unhappy then most likely it is Sony Ericsson drawback.
    INDRANIL, if you want to learn Manual Network Selection Procedure deeper then see 3GPP 23.122. Also, I want to ask you. How does K660i present the 2G and 3G PLMNs for the same operator, when it shows the list of PLMNs/access technologies for manual selection?

Indranil

Hi Pan,
    Thanks for ur response.
    Thing is that,in our circle different vendor 2G networks running, 3g is going to be launched.using same handset(K660i) & USIM
    in Nortel 2G area,manual network selection represents 2g & 3g network both,but in Ericsson area,whenever camping in 2g network,after network selection 3g network is not coming.But,after caping on 3g network , network selection returns 2g&3g both n/w.
    Even,in another circle , there is no such issue –it has been tested using K660i handset,it works fine.So, how can we claim it is handset issue?

Pls share .

BR//
    Indranil

Pix

Indranil,

First thing > Pan asked you two questions, and you answered none ๐Ÿ™‚

Then, to summary, let’s say there are 3 zones:

Zone A: Nortel 2G/3G BSS – what NSS ??
    Zone B: Ericsson 2/3G BSS – what NSS ??
    Zone C: Ericsson 2/3G BSS – what NSS ??

If you use any MS (except K660i), reselection occurs from 2G to 3G and from 3G to 2G in Zone A, B and C.

If you use a K660i, the reselection occurs 2G -> 3G & 3G -> 2G in Zone A and B, but only 3G -> 2G in Zone C.

Note: you hint that you didn’t try the reselection in Zone B with the K660i yourself, someone else did. Are you sure they performed the reselection in both directions?

Regards,
    Pix

Indranil

Nortel-2G BSS connected to Nortel NSS.
    Ericsson-2G BSS connected to Ericsson NSS.
    Ericsson-RNC connected to Ericsson NSS.
    If I use any MS (except K660i) 2g->3G & 3G –>2G in any zone(Zone-A/B/C) no problem.

If I use K660i 2g–>3g(ericsson 2g area–>ericsson 3g area) —->problem occurs.
    but ericsson 3g area–>ericsson 2g area no problem.

if I use K660i Nortel 2g to Ericsson 3g no problem & Ericsson 3g —>Nortel 2g no problem.

in any other circle except my circle, ericsson 2g area to ericsson 3g & vice versa has been tested successfully.

Hope,now I have made the scenario clear.
    If need any input more pls ask

BR//
    Indranil

Pix

mmm… sorry, i’ve got no clue at all. It’s just not logical ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you repeated the drivetests several times ? ๐Ÿ™‚ that’s the only thing i can think of !

INDRANIL

yah, repeated drive tests has been accomplished.same result happens.

BR//

Pan

Dear, Indranil!
    As I understood, (for ericsson 2g area–>ericsson 3g area case) your K660i don’t presents 3g network in PLMN list for manual network selection. Hence you can’t to select 3G PLMN for registration in this case. Am I right?

Indranil

yah, pan,absolutely.

Pan

Well, Indranil! When you force K660i (registered in ericsson 2g) to manual network selection procedure, it should make searching for any available PLMN in all supported ranges and all supported radio access technologies and display these PLMN to user. I think, it is implementation dependent how mobile does it. In some mobiles it is performed by simple scanning in all frequency ranges. But such scanning takes a lot of time. And I think, that many mobiles are used more sofisticated approaches for searching any available PLMN. For example, by using info similar “Stored list cell selection” (BA) for cell selection procedure. This list may be derived by the MS from info gathered during previous selections of the PLMN and stored in mobile memory. Also one of the sources of such info may be the UTRAN_Frequency_List Info Element from RR_Channel_Release message. Mobile may receive this message after Location Registration procedure (in 2g) completion and releasing SDCCH. UTRAN Frequency List is used to describe the UTRAN frequencies used by the network. You may check this frequency list in different 2g bss (eric, nortel, etc..) in your network and compare them with one in unhappy ericsson 2g-BSS. I think you can find out appropriate parameter in BSC databases of all vendors. It is only my assumption, that your K660i uses only UTRAN_Frequency_List for 3g-PLMN searching, but other testing mobiles use UTRAN_Frequency_List and simple frequency scanning in case failure. I hope, I was laconic:)
    with Best Regards, Pan. Tell us about results.

Bob

Can you please help me how to solve HO from 3g to 2g.

Pan

Dear, Bob!
    You may find out info what you are asking in 3gpp 23.009.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.