Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

E or G symbol on nokia handsets

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    roopa

How does a GPRS attached Mobile Station know whether a cell site is only GPRS or EDGE enabled ?? is it present in the System Information ???

Pix

Probably ๐Ÿ™‚ And that should be in the 3GPP… but where ?? I’ll try to find it out tomorrow.

roopa

hey pix… got the answer???

Pix

… i’m sorry, i’m very very busy…
    have you try drilling into the 3GPP ?

Pix

Hi,
    I got the answer:

The System Information 13 is modified:
    broadcast of the fields EGPRS_PACKET_CHANNEL_REQUEST and BEP_PERIOD in SI13 message is done if cell is EGPRS capable.

So the MS knows beforehand if the cell is EGPRS or GPRS (or nothing, if there is no SI13).

paraHO

3GPP TS 0460

Alex Riche

EGPRS_PACKET_CHANNEL_REQUEST is used by handset & not by the network.

What exactly does the network tell the MS??

Pix

Alex,

a SI message is broadcasted by the cell (the si13), and in this si, there is the field EGPRS PACKET CHANNEL REQUEST.

I’m not talking about the uplink channel request message.

Alex Riche

RAC, Network Control Order parameters, GPRS Power Control parameters, Options – NMO & Access burst type would be carried on SI 13 when PBCCH is not available.

I wonder where EGPRS PACKET CHANNEL REQUEST would be part of that. That is part of PSI1 message.

Pix

well, it’s there… keep looking ๐Ÿ™‚ i don’t think it’s an alcatel-lucent proprietary implementation, youshould be able to find the same thing in all vendors.

Alex Riche

๐Ÿ™‚

It might sound strange! I could not find any piece of document until now which specifies that “EGPRS PACKET CHANNEL REQUEST” is part of down link. The name itself very much sounds like uplink! Spent some days on specs!

Pix

Alex Riche,

you got to love specs now, don’t you?

a channel request is an uplink message, but it doesn’t mean that this name can’t be used as a field name in a downlink message ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m glad you spent time looking for it. Would you mind sharing in which spec you found it exactly ?

Alex Riche

๐Ÿ™‚

0460-8l0 & 0408-7l0 predominantly & few other related docs!

am going nuts, but at the same time just loving the wonder called “GSM”. Man, am in love with it.

Pix

GSM oozes brainiak stuff… you can feel people did really think it through, 15 years ago :))

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.