Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

periodic location update

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    RL

Dear all,

Could you please share for the periodic location update period that we should set in the network.

In my network we set 10 hour. Is it too much???

Thank you very much.

riz

hi RL,

yeah i think 10 hour is very high, in our network its 6 hours which is a standard value as far as networks in our country are concerned ๐Ÿ™‚

Pix

Hello,

The value of T3212 sets the duration between two periodic location update. Typical value is 3 or 4 hours.
    If too short, then resources are occupied too much with signalling (SDCCH, BTS processor, MSC processor, VLR, etc.)

If too long, then it can happen that MS are not accessible anymore (battery died, for example) but the MSC still believe they can be paged.

The drawbacks of a longer value are rather inconsequential … It looks like it’s better to have a value too long than too short ๐Ÿ™‚

Now, be careful than the implicit detach timer “t” set in the MSC/VLR is longer than the T3212. Because if it’s shorter, then it means that “t” expires before T3212: the IMSI is detached by the VLR, but the MS is not aware of that…

hihi

where is the timer?in VLR OR
    MS

Bijoy

T3212 is a cell Timer.

Br\\
    Bijoy

Tanuj

typically we are using 4 hours as std. value in our nw, the value is gioven as 40 (1=6 minutes so 40*6=240 mins.

AYAT

Pix

is (โ€˜tโ€™ detach timer

the the timer that network will purge the sub

in our network T3212=2.9 H

and network will delete the subscriber after 24 H

is that time thesame for (โ€˜tโ€™ detach timer ??

ayat

hi pix

1. T3213(periodical timer in Radio) = 174min
    2. t(periodical timer in VLR) = 240min (large than T3213, so it is available if the T3213 is not successful)
    3. purge timer = 24Hours

but ,we have a problem with high nmber of absent subscriber

ffflyer

T3212 value varies significantly between networks, I’ve seen values as long as 12 hours and as short as 2 hours. It really depends on a strategy, LA shapes and sizes and signaling transport capacity. Have in mind that short T3213 value also affect battery life time for MS, especially for low consuming customers.

SKCG

I think 4 hours is fine at most cases.

AK

I guess 3 hrs for T3212 is widely accepted in the world. But it depends on various parameters.

Ayat

Hi pix
    Thanks for your support
    but i am afraid i did not umderstand why do we redude the VLR time (purge time)??
    could you explain
    boz as i said we have high map error absent sb.

i think it will increase this error

pix

Ayat,

you said:
    ———————–

1. T3213(periodical timer in Radio) = 174min
    2. t(periodical timer in VLR) = 240min (large than T3213, so it is available if the T3213 is not successful)
    3. purge timer = 24Hours

————————

the t(periodical timer in VLR) is at a good value, so IMO it means that the MS which are no more “available” are quickly marked as “detached” by the VLR.
    So my previous recommendation is actually already done in your network ๐Ÿ™‚
    the purge timer would not influence your KPI (afaik).

i can’t help more…
    pix

Ahmed

the Timer was set to one hour in our NW so i have changed it to 4 Hours on 2G and 3G w, what are the expected KPI’s that could improve , any idea ??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.