Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

GPRS Gs interface & paging

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Pix

Safar,

Class B will be able to hear the CS-Paging over the PACCH, suspend their data connection, answer the voice call, and then automatically resume their data transfer at the end of the call.

Second question : yes, it could help.

regards
    pix

Peter

i have just a question for Gs implementation, what is the main indicators to decide implementing Gs or not: DATA session average duration per user, Signalling on CS Core:? thresholds?

pix

peter

Gs interface is mostly used to allow CS Paging to get through to the subscriber when it is in gprs transfer mode.

So the main KPI to decide Gs interface implementation is the paging success rate : if it is a bit low at some points in the day, when the eGPRS traffic is high, then the Gs interface is probably useful.

Regards
    pix

Peter

Thanks pix, what about the threshold of paging Success rate%, when it is considered low?

Pix

I have no idea, sorry…

Anything below 99% would be a disappointment (IMO), but I’ve no experience about that.

Peter

Anyway, actually we are over 93%, anyone has idea about thresolds?

Rex

Hi,
    In order to have Gs Interface, what’s needed for enabling(activating) it? Additional HW/SW? Can anybody explain which are procedures to create Gs Interface?
    Regards,
    Rex

Peter

normally u must purchase a licence on SGSN and MSC or MSS (it depends on vendor), Cabling, configuring the signaling between MSC and SGSN, configuration @ SGSN and MSC level and modifying NMO to 1 @ BSS side, i think thats all.

Pix

Peter,

The thing is there is no way to know whether the 7% of failures are due to MS being blinded by GPRS activity or not.

Can you match the hourly PSR, against the hourly activity of data transfers ? Is there a correlation ?

Other probable causes of poor PSR are:
    – radio PCH congestion
    – poor coverage or bad interference areas
    – boards processing overload (MSC / BSC / BTS)

What I am trying to say is that Gs interface is just a way to improve the customer “experience” (receiving calls while browsing). It s a good value added service, it will improve your image, blablabla.. On the other hand, knowing that your CS pagings will *all* go through your SGSN (and not through the A interface anymore) + there will be LA/RA combined update + IMSI/GPRS combined attach, there is a high risk that it will introduce some weird bugs.

(this is based on what I’ve read about Gs inteface so far on this forum and what customers have shared with me)

I don’t know with which system you are working with, but most vendors are know proposing Paging synchronisation inside the BSC itself. In few months, there will be no need for Gs interface anymore (if you keep your radio release up to date)

Regards
    pix

safar

hi pix,

In gs interface all paging will go thr gs interface?if gs is activated and my mobile is not attached to gprs and if call comes on my cell then paging will come thr A interface or it will come thr gs ?

Pix

Hi Safar,

The rule is so simple… when you install Gs interface:
    ALL cs paging go from MSC to SGSN.
    ZERO cs paging go from MSC to BSC.

Whatever the MS, whatever its state.
    , whatever whatever 🙂

The thing is that it is only the PCU (=MFS in alcatel) that can process & redirect the cs pagings. It will send CS paging through PACCH, and other CS paging to the BSC (so they will later be send through PCH)
    Well, i’m sure yo understand my point 🙂

Regards,
    pix

kamal k

Hi Pix,

R u sure that after GS implementation,all paging msgs goes to BSC to SGSN & SGSN to msc?

If ph is not having GPRS/DATA facility then?

If i’m not in alwasy online mode then?

Plz confirm..!

pix

CS Pagings goes from MSC to SGSN (Gs interface), then from SGSN to MFS(PCU) (Gb interface), then from here:
    – either MS is in PTM : CS Paging is sent on PACCH
    – or MS is not in PTM : CS Paging is sent to the BSC (which will send it to the PCH)

It is done this way because the BSC doesn’t know which ms is in ptm, and which one is not.

If the BSC knows, then this is called the “BSC Paging coordination”, and here there is no need of gs interface anymore.

pix

jack

hi Pix.
    i doubt that BSC doesn’t know which ms is in ptm, and which one is not.
    every MS that have TFI allocated to it is in ptm mode and the rest is not.
    therefore there is no need in gs interface at all.
    please give me more detail about
    “BSC Paging coordination”
    and how i know that my BSC(NOKIA)has this feature?in documents nothing exists.

Dinesh Kumar Hassija

What are the threshold for KPI parameters for Packet data. Please give in detail as per std.recommendation.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.