Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

question about ant. gain and radiated ..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rf fan

Hi all,
    For example we have Transmiter+combiner+spliter+feeder+antena.

After losses computation we have +17dBm at the input of antenna. Antenna have 2 dBi gain. How to compute radiated output power from antenna ? How many dBm can i expect, input power is +17 dBm ?

pix

17dBm + 2dBi = 19 dBm
    your EIRP (radiated power) = 19 dBm

it’s as simple as that ๐Ÿ™‚

I assume it is an omni directional antenna ? in this case, in all 360 degrees, there will be a TX power of 19 dBm.

In case of panel antennas, only in the main direction of the lobe will you have 19 dBm. In other directions, you must include a certain attenuation (check the antenna pattern).

Regards
    pix

rf fan

Yes ant is omni for example, but i don’t understand how can be used addition or substraction on two different quantities

pix

decibels are a weird unit ๐Ÿ™‚ but very convenient !

dBm are absolute power, they correspond to a certain amount of mW. For instance 0dBm = 1mW, 33dBm = 2W.

dBi are relative power: they indicate how much gain is given to an input signal. It’s like the “dB”.
    For instance :
    0dBm + 3dB = 3dBm = 2mW
    3dBm + 3dB = 6dBm = 4mW
    6dBm + 3dB = 9dBm = 8mW
    9dBm + 3dB = 12dBm = 16mW

As you see, 3dB is not equal to xx dBm. It is a factor which means the power (in watts) is multiplied by 2.

An antenna “multiplies” the input power by a certain factor. It’s “relative power”.

rf fan

Wow, it’s clear now ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thank you very much for detailed and usefull explanation !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.