Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Indoor Coverage

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MKT

Hi all,

Consider that we have following constraints:-

1.) You can neither increase or decrease the HEIGHT(also azimuth cannot be changed) of antenna.

2)You can neither increase or decrease the TILT of antenna.

3)BTS is transmitting at its maximum BTS_TX_PWR_MAX.( so there is also no scope of increasing the power further)

4)VSWR is nominal

5)You have the choice to play with TRX.

6) You have to choice to play with BSS parameters.

HOW CAN WE IMPROVE THE INDOOR COVERAGE IN A PARTICULAR LOCALITY?

Regards.

pix

do drive tests, and check what is the actual rxlev measured indoor. if you see -110dBm, then you must install an indoor site (no amount of optimization can provide coverage in such a “hole”…)
    if it’s about -95dBm, then you can do some optimization.

– install high power TRX (that will enhance only DL) + a TMA (to balance the UL signal too)
    – install a signal booster at the bottom of the antenna (it enhances UL and DL signals)
    – install a repeater with donor antenna located outdoor, and serving antenna located indoor (antenna or radiating cable).

with parameters, you could try to set rxlev access min = -110dBm, and slow down handovers and power control. Problem is, it will affect the whole coverage of the cell, not only the indoor subscribers.

you can also implement lower frequencies and frequency hopping (SFH ?) in order to provide better wall penetration.

the general rule is : you CANNOT increase coverage with parameters. Coverage is physical, parameters are logical. It’s just not working this way at all.

pix

you can also increase the radio link timeout (DL and UL), just to avoid dropping the call too early. i don’t recommend this solution though… but that’s a possibility.

you can also try to use AMR, with robust codecs…

MKT

Thanks for suggestions.

You said,
    “install high power TRX (that will enhance only DL) + a TMA (to balance the UL signal too)”.

Does it means that TMA works only in UL direction?

Will disabling the downlink power control will do some relief to improve indoor coverage?

Regards

MKT

Sorry..

i forgot that BCCH TRX doesn’t have PC on it.

Regards

Bilal

TMA amplifies the signal received at BTS antenna .i.e Uplink.

Power control even if it is enabled wont have any impact in low coverage scenario. Commonly used threshold for DL PC is around -90dBm that means no power down regulation if SS is below -90dBm.

pix

ok, nothing more to add 🙂

my choice would be : repeater

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.