Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

LAC=RAC

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mirmar

Hello every body,

I am working with an operator (ALCATEL BSS) having LAC=RAC for all cells. Please what are risks of LAC=RAC ? (normally one LAC contains 2 to 6 RAC)
    Can paging be impacted ?

Thanks.
    Mirmar.

R

Hi Mirmar

Usually we keep LAC = RAC .

There are no risks in keeping that configuration, rather it is the best and prefered configuration.

One LAC may contain 2 to 6 RACs but that is not prefered since it may lead to unnecessary RAC updates and thereby increasing the signalling load.

The moving GPRS traffic is usually low . If however, the GPRS signalling load increases then one RAC can be splitted into two.

rgrds

Hamidullah Mohammad RIAZ

Hello friends,
    Let me tell something about RAC and LAC.
    LAC (Location Area Code) is a unique code which is used for calling of the gathering of the tens or hundreds of Base Stations into a single BSC(Base Station Controller).
    A subdivision of the LA is called RA(Routing Area) is used by the mobiles which are GPRS attached and the RAC(Routing Area Code) is the code for the calling and differing of various RAs.

Nalini

What do you mean by Erlangs

Sreevalsan

What is the difference between SAC and LAC?

Thanks
    SMC

paul

I am looking for a code (*#oooo#) for any smartphone any network in the UK so I can find out the RAC of a given site.

many thanks in advance

paul

Tejaswi RS

Difference for LAC and RAC

Hikmat

I work in a telecom company, here they are using same RAC 300 DEC for all cells. Please what are risks? (normally one LAC contains 2 to 6 RAC)
    Can paging be impacted ?

Bijoy

Hi Hikmat
    An RA is used by SGSN to manage the location of MS’s.

An LAC is used by MSC/VLR to manage the location of MS’s.

Please check the PS Paging related counters,if no PS paging discards,continue with the same config. Else,make RAC=LAC

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.