Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Difference b/w % AMR & % NonAMR DropRate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike

Chaps,

Any idea why there is a difference in % dropp rate of AMR and non AMR ?

hm

In general AMR codecs can operate at lower C/I values and allow an improved utilization of the frequency spectrum. The voice quality may not be the limiting factor anymore in AMR calls, but the performance of the signaling channels. To allow a higher utilization of the frequency spectrum 3GPP (Was it in Release7?) has adapted the idea of Repeated FAACH / SAACH. These are than also (optional) features for mobil stations.

rf fan

Hi all,
    could you write more information about FACCH/SACCH repetition ?
    Thkanks !

Mike

But % drop rate is on radio link loss on signalling on SACCH which is not changed by AMR so why the difference ??

rf fan

Because users don’t interput the call by himself – they have good voice quality in bad radio conditions ….

GTNF5

Hi,
    Anyone know which are the key indicators for traffic statistic to show before and after effects of AMR?
    Which are the indicators we use for graph presentation on AMR and bit rates?

Mike

Chaps,

Let me put this way, SACCH is not modified by AMR, so if the radio link is good/bad radio link time out on SACCH would be same as it was before. I can understand it gives an improved speech performance with AMR, but why is the Drop Call rate different than Non AMR circuits.

Thanks.

Mikee

pix

mike,

RF Fan gave you the answer : the “AMR” subscriber does not disconnect the call while in bad radio conditions. The radio is bad, but the voice is good –> the subscriber is happy and keeps talking. Unfortunately the SACCH are lost, and the call drop will eventually occur anyway.

With non AMR, the subscriber will hang up the call before the BSS could detect a call drop.

Therefore, non-AMR CDR < AMR CDR.

Mike

Thanks for your clarifications. But…

a) Normal DISCs are not part of CDR.
    b) Lets say at a distance from the BTS, SACCH will fail at regardless of whether AMR/NonAMR codec. (Though I know the user will have better voice quaility with AMR codec).
    c) So the user drops it due to radio problems on SACCH anyhow and so the CDR (regardless of whatever speech codec he was on).

Theoretically CDR should be same.

I appreciate everyone’s patience so far.

pix

mike,

in a cell, let’s assume :
    one week without AMR : “X” call drops, “Y” disconnections

next week with AMR : “X+d” call drops, “Y-d” disconnections

people prefers to disconnect a call as soon as there is no more voice (case of non AMR calls under poor radio conditions)

when you activate AMR, the ppl will feel the voice is fine, but the BSS feels otherwise, because the SACCH are lost.

if you still don’t understand, i’m not sure i can do anything more 🙂 Read few more times…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.