Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Channel Failure Alarm……Plz Help

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rizwan Saifi

Hi all
    please do help me regarding the following.
    I was told by OSS department that CHANNEL FAILURE is 52% on TRX2, 3 and TRX5 on GSM. Can anybody help me regarding its detail.
    1. Why this alarm appears on TRX?
    2. What are its effects?
    3. How can it be avoided or fixed?

Thanx in advance.

pix

i would say that TRX 2, 3 and 5 are faulty, or maybe (more probably) they share an equipment that is faulty. I’d go for the combiner…

channel failure is a QOS Indicator, so it is not an alarm. It can be computed from BSS counters.

Rizwan Saifi

Thanx PIX
    But i culd not understand your answer. Kindly describe in such an easy manner as you can. Also I want to inform tht there is no COMBINER attached to these TRXs.
    Thanx in advance.

pix

saifan,

there is a high number of CHANNEL FAILURE on the TRX’s 2/3/5 of one BTS :
    the CHANNEL FAILURE means that TCH CHANNEL are required on these TRX by the BSC, but MS can’t seem to access those TCH.

the reason for such failures are :
    high interference
    poor coverage
    faulty hardware (TRX, combiner, ..)
    handover problems
    etc.

when you see such a high amount of failure (more than 20%), you must assume that your hardware is faulty. Bad coverage or interference cannot generate such high rate of failures (usually).

because it happens on many TRXs of one BTS, then perhaps not those 3 TRX’s are faulty, but one equipment that is shared by those three TRX.

i hope this is clearer ๐Ÿ™‚

regards,
    pix

Rizwan Saifi

Yup Clear n Thanx

But the stunning thing is that if we provide a HARD ReSET to the TRX, re-connect its SMA connectors and re-commission the cabinet, the CHANNEL FAILURE indicator exponentially comes down and even vanishes.

What do u say about it?
    Thanx in advance.

pix

it proves that the software was “bugged”, and you cleared the problem by re-initializing the software.

that’s a very obvious cause of high channel failures. Usually, every time you measure a bad QoS, you got to do a software reset first (that’s easy, quick and readily available). Then you investigate other problems ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m glad you fixed the problem ๐Ÿ™‚

best regards,
    pix

Rizwan Saifi

Thanx once again
    U mean Software of TRX was corrupted?

pix

yes… i don’t know the details, but it is certainly something like this !

Rizwan Saifi

A bundle of Thanx for You
    I really appreciate ypur goordination. Thanx once again.

Rizzi

Tahseen

Well,Regarding channel failure alarm,I did troubleshooting for almost 60 sites and i never replaved the Hardware.The thing which i did is 1st to check the antenna line by VSWR measurement and even VSWR is fine check please DTF.If u see a small peak which is unsual,It could be connector or jumper,triplexer even antenna.Please check carefully that component.

bie

D-channel failure

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.