Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Data Call in GSM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John

Hi I want to know about data call in gsm.
    what parameteres are required to establish Data call

Pix

Data call = (e)GPRS transfer. So you have to enable GPRS in your cell, and defines some PDCHs.

rf fan

Hi,
    I think that isn’t obligatory to use GPRS for data calls. Data call may be also arranged over CSD or HSCSD. In comparison with voice-call, difference is in structure of transmitted data in timeslot in case of CSD (just try searching about PCM-pulse code modulation).
    Greetings !

pix

that’s true, but (in my opinion) you rarely see this solution implemented nowadays. Some specific wireless applications, as i recall, used this feature because GPRS wasn’t implemented at that time.

paraHO

It is ok if network supports eGPRS service but what about SIM and handset?

SIM need GPRS allocated and activated for Service No.38 in SIM Service Table (7F206F38). It is assumption most operators have allocated and activate in SIMs.

Handset is easier check for eGPRS, by looking at handset technical specs to see if eGPRS is supported

eg Nokia 6300

Connectivity
    – Integrated mail client (SMTP/POP3/IMAP4)
    – GPRS class B, multislot class 10
    – EDGE (EGPRS) Class 10
    – Bluetooth 2.0 (A2DP)
    – WAP 2.0 ( xHTML)
    – MMS
    – SyncML
    – FOTA
    – Synchronization with PC (via Pop-port)

Only prob I see is what handsets being used in service area that are eGPRS enabled – maybe determined from SCM?

rf fan

You may use MS as modem to exchange FAX messages and to set up incomming or outgoinng terminal sessions via PTP for example … so you don’t need specific MS in my thinking.
    Greetings !

paraHO

rf fan, yes a modem can do that, but are they in common use, given enhanced MS capability?

There are GSM/GPRS wireless cards (which you may say is same thing or similar) and the USB wireless devices for GPRS and 3G, both used with laptops.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.