Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Actix Vs. Ranopt

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Abdel

Hi guys,

I am wondering to which extent are these post processing tools usefull? Did any of you experienced them like Actix and Ranopt. By the way which is better if we compare them together Ranopt from aircom or Actix. Sorry I am not familiar with these software tools. If I use them what are the pros and the cons.

Thanks

Abdel

“On June 8, 2006, the two companies Actix and Ericsson signed an agreement to work together on a way to make post-processing more efficient. The result will enable direct access of information from TEMS realtime tools such as TEMS Investigation into Actix solutions.” from the news.
    From here it looks that Actix is mainly used with TEMS investigation. but still I am looking for its’importance. and what exactly this Actix or post processing do? and I think Actix is not widely used or is it??

Abdel

May be the Actix is for busy or lazy engineers who are unable or don’t want to drill down the drive test they performed on the TEMS or the drive test tool and the actix will automate their traditional RF optimization analysis. am I right??:)

pix

post processing is useful to compute call statistics, voice quality, handover statistics, etc. over many drivetests.
    Investigating few drive-tests with the replay feature is interesting if you need to optimize one road, or trouble shoot a problem.
    Post processing is useful in order to get an overview of your network, in the same spirit as QoS indicators.

Radio engineers are NEVER lazy ! Their job is way too entertaining 😉

Abdel

Hi pix,

Thanks for ur usefull reply.Okay I get the point. Do you also mean that muliple drive test cannot be imported by the TEMS and then providing you with an overview of your network. For one drive test it is ok you can get all the statistics for one drive but what about multiple drive tests?
    Most KPI like call success rate, dropped calls, Handovers statistics except the voice quality can be found in the OMCR, so why I bother to use post processing tools?
    Aircom said in her bronchure when talking about RANOPT:”A leading operator in UK was keen to identify cross feeder cells. Using RANOPT they were able to identify 10 in one week in the London area, using one network engineer. Without RANOPT, it would take a team of ten, on average one month to locate five issues nationally. That’s a saving of 90% in resources, and a process improvement of 166%”.
    But cross feeder cells generates failure which can be easily seen in the performance statistics in the OMCR, that this cells has a problem. So what do you think?
    There are so many post processing tools like Nemo analyzer, TEMS Deskcat, RANOPT(aircom), Actix Analyzer..etc. are you familiar with any of them? Which one do you prefer for a TEMS drive test tool to be used on?

Thanks

pix

Abdel,

i’ve never worked on those modern post processing. I think i’ve seen a TEMS solution, very elegant and useful, called TEMS automator (it uses a dedicated server, etc..)
    I used to use an old tool, that looked a bit like MapInfo (i forgot the name)

cross feeders are not so easy to find, because the TX/RX is on one sector, and the RXDIV is on another sector… it certainly leads to QOS problems, but they’re not so simple to diagnose (in my opinion)

the difference between OMCR stats and drive-tests stats is that the contractual requirements between government and operators is mostly based on drive-tests. Also, comparisons between operators (performed by operator themselves or by independent companies for public information) are done with drive tets. So one operator must know how good are its drivetest statistics.

to put it simply, post-processing provides solid information with a lot of details (if needed), in a fast and global way. but i understand your point of view : you can achieve the same results with more people in your team and more time in your hands… Unfortunately, many optimizers don’t have so much time to achieve their KPI’s objectives.

theo

hi guys

i need to know the output formats for the BTS,workplace,mapfile,device configuration,results as well as script files….for actix ,RANOpt aircom and Aexio.

please assist,

thank you.

jack

Ok guys seems like all of you above dont have a good concept of cross feeders or cross sectors. I will try to make you guys understand in a simplest language

In Mobile communications, cross feeders or cross sectors is generally named as a Swap or cable swap. Cable Swap have many types and and i have shown a few of them for your understandings. Please find below the description of few types of cable swap:

1. Sector Swap or Cross Sectors: Every Antenna is connected with 2 cables called feeders. If the feeders of 1 sector is interchanged with the other sector then this is called a sector swap or cross sectors. It means that the sectors will behave differently, for example 1st sector and 2nd sectors cables are swapped then 1st Sector will behave as a 2nd Sector and vice versa.
    2. Antenna Swap: If we have two or more antenna in each sector then there is always a possibility of having an Antenna Swap. It means that the feeders of a single Antenna Can be swapped with the other antenna. This can happen between sectors and also in a same sector.

3. Partial Swap or Cross Feeder: In this type of swap we observe that a single cable (out of 2) in 1 antenna gets swapped with the single cable of another antenna. This can again happen within the same sector or between sectors.

4. Cross Swap: Cross swap is the most difficult type of swap that exists, it means that all the three sectors are actually partially swapped. which means that single feeder in each antenna gets swapped with the other feeder in another antenna. It can happen between 900/1800/2100 Antenna altogether.

All of the above can be removed easily if you know how to connect the feeders (directly or through combiner or splitter) in to the CU. The best way is to track the cables from top to the BTS. I hope it is helpful for your understanding

pix

thank you jack 🙂

b

thnx jack for the good explanation
    I’m using actix as post processing tool, and till now im satisfied.
    how can i identify the for types of swap that u mentioned with it.
    except sector swap that is easy to find how can i detect the other swaps
    during drive test or during post processing(tool,method).

jack

Cross sector is easy to find,here i explain cross feeder(cross feeder TCH trx only,if it is a Cross feeder BCCH trx, it is believed to be Cross sector although still its cross feeder,you need to rectify it)
    for a drive tester to test it(before going to BTS and arranging a cable trace):
    the site should have atleast 2 trx each sector without combiner,(combiner bypassed)each trx connected to seperate antenna port.
    now go into main beam of the suspected sector,make calls on all the trx it has,
    first BCCH trx,note the Rxlevel,disable downlink power control before making the tests if you can.
    than TCH trxs of the same sector,distinguish them with their differnt MAIO values,again note Rxlevel of all these trx.it should be same in ideal conditions but if there is cross feeder it would be different,the trx connected to(feeder swapped) different sector antenna will show alot lower Rxlevel then others, being transmitted in different direction as it is connected to some different antenna,now if you lock the call on that feeder swapped trx on which you are getting 20 – 30 dB less level and go around the site,it’ll show better level in some different sector in which it is swapped to.
    same way try other sectors and trx too.its somewhat complicated and time consuming but can serve the purpose before going to BTS.
    now if there are 2 or 3 trx per sector and combining is used,drive tester cant figure out the cross feeder since the crossed feeder has no transmission assosiated with it.it only serve as RX diversity.till the time anyone get that much experiance to figure it out,he is not a drive tester anymore.
    Now for optimisers.
    it’ll effect handovers,call establishments,SDCCH assignments.
    if you look at sector wise and trx wise reports.
    the crossed trx would cause maximum number of call drops HO failures, SD failures if SD is assigned on those Trx.and other services being served by those trx.
    the performance of those trx degrade with TA,more the TA worst it would be.
    Handovers based on Rxlevel can fail and result in a dropped call if the timeslot is reserved on the crossed trx,although the Rxlevel of BCCH was good enough to trigger a handover but since the trx on which the TCH timeslot for that call is allotted is transmitting in some different direction and the power in too less in the direction where the handover is being performed,either it will fail or drop.
    same way while establishing a call when latched to the effected sector,if the call is matured on crossed trx it may drop or sustain after intracell handover.and if SD is assigned on crossed trx,it’ll cause more problems.
    Diversity gain is reduced as well.
    and much more,find such cells and have detailed study for more information on the system you are working on.
    its based on my experiance,correct me if im wrong

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.