Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

SDCCH Mean Holding Time

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    rala

If you found the high SDCCH MHT, what should be the cause of the problem? Thx in advance. ๐Ÿ™‚

Pix

What is the value measured ??

rala

Dear Pix,
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    The normal of SDCCH MHT about 4 seconds but we found some BSC has about 4.5-5 seconds.
    Regards,

Pix

Hi Rala,

The average BSC value is 4.5 to 5s. It means that within this BSC, some cell might actually have up to 8 or 9 seconds SDCCH MHT. Can you confirm ?

If that’s the case, you should check the split of SDCCH causes : do you see a lot of SMS ? SMS requires more time to be transmitted than a call setup.

Do you measure a lot of SDCCH drop ? When the radiolink between MS and BTS is broken, the time to detect a SDCCH drop is about 9 seconds.
    During these 9 seconds, the SDCCH is still active. Therefore, if you see a lot of drops, it can also cause a long MHT.

Typical cell value ranges from 3 seconds to 5 seconds (and more if there are a lot of SMS’s)

Regards,
    Pix

rala

Dear PIX,
    Thank you for your answer. ๐Ÿ™‚

For more question related to this article, if we have split the BIG Location area to make the Location area smaller, can it make the SDCCH MHT decreased?

Pix

No i don’t think so… reducing the LA size will decrease the Paging load, and increase the amount of location updates. But the LU duration is about 3 or 4 seconds (AFAIK), and that’s already your average. Mathematically, it doesn’t make sense ๐Ÿ™‚

Location Area should be as big as your Paging capacity allows.

Really, have a look cell per cell (what’s max MHT per cell ?) and split the sdcch cause. The location area is probably not the problem, that’s why I didn’t include it in my previous post.

rala

Dear Pix,
    I agree with you Pix.

But one thing that I can see after the LAC split(in the very large LAC and has huge paging load)is the SDCCH MHT decreasing(At the BSC level, daily statistic) about 0.5 seconds.

Is it possible that before we split the LAC the huge paging load make the SDCCH load so the SDCCH MHT is a bit high? Am I correct?

Warmest regards,

pix

Rala,

PCH load and SDCCH load… it’s not related, theoretically. Those are two distinct physical channels, carrying data from different processes (Paging : broadcasted DL “ping” of a subscriber, SDCCH : dedicated channel for call setup, LU, SMS, etc.).

I can imagine that if the BTS has an overloaded CPU, because it’s trying to manage too many pagings, it might delay all processes including the SDCCH phase.

any other idea why ??

rala

Thank you so much Pix.
    Your answer is very useful for me. : )

rala

One more thing that I see after split the LAC is the Location update in the cell that have the SDCCH MHT decreased is very high.

How long time the location update use the SDCCH channel when compare to the others(MOC, MTC)? Is it shorter?
    (If it is shorter it might be the cause of the SDCCH MHT decreasing.)

Regards,

Pix

yes, it’s shorter. as i said, it’s about 3 seconds…

rala

Dear Pix,
    In your point of view,
    if the LU requires SDCCH = 3 s.,
    how about the call set up?

I try to find out these time from TEMS, the time from “Immediate Assignment request” to “Immediate Assignment complete” of call set up and LU is about 2 s..

Regards,

Water

Hi guys, please help me.
    some three weeks ago, we started experiencing an increase in sdcch traffic, meanholding time, sdcch drop,sdcch congestion in almost every cell in our network.
    I checked whether sms trends have changed some how, but there hasn’t been any changes.
    What could be the cause of such an increase in sdcch measurements.

thanks

pix

Rala,

This is not SDCCH DURATION !!

SDCCH duration starts at IMMEDIATE ASGNMENT COMMAND and finishes when the SDCCH is released (switch to TCH, end of location update request, end of SMS, drop, etc…)

pix

2nd part of the post :
    typical duration of sdcch :

LU is short
    TC is short

OC is long
    SMS is long
    etc…

regards,
    pix

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.