Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Space diversity

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    HuNi

Hi

Can anyone please explain me how to calculate the distance between two antennas if I am using space diversity.

Regards
    HuNi

pix

there is a formula for that… but it’s totally empirical. Better than the formula is to follow the recommendations, based on experiments :

For GSM900 : at least 3m horizontal separation
    For DCS1800 : at least 1.5m horizontal separation

Additional rule : if height of antenna > 10*3m (or 10*1.5m for DCS1800), then the separation should not be equal to the values above, but should be at least equal to Height/10.

If you’re using vertical separation, then the distances are shorter but it is slightly less effective.

Pix

HuNi

Thank you Pix

emreigrek

i never forget you pix. God bless you 🙂

RK

The recommendation in general is 10x wavelength to 20x wavelngth. Of course, the higher separation the better since you’re able to de-couple the signals on both RX branches better. In GSM 1800 and PCS 1900 we’ve used 3 meter separation in deployments. But these days dual pol antenna is the answer for diversity.

RK

Pix

Hello RK,

when you say dual polar, you mean dualband cross-polar antennas ?

Do you use this crosspolars in rural areas as well ?

RK

Dual Pol = Cross polar antenna. BTW, quad pol antennas are also available in the market these days. I am talking here about mature markets like Europe and North America. In some cases (even if it is rural environment) more antennas sticking out of the buildingds are not preferred due to aesthetics. So dual pol antennas rule. But yes, these are about 1 dB inferior due to lower signal de-correlation achievable.

RK

Pix

RK, thanks for the input 🙂

I never heard about the quad pol, it’s not in the catalog of the main antenna vendors..

i’m very curious, does it have 4 different polarizations ? (0°, 45°, 90°, 135° ?)

RK

That is correct Pix, it is 0°, 45°, 90°, 135°. Not really sure what the applications are in 2G and 3G network- maybe applicable for 4-way diversity (?) that many vendors these days offer. I am almost sure Andrew has these antennas.

Also, I think these antennas could be used in 4G technologies like WiMAX for 4×2 MIMO where TX at the Base station transmits on 4 parallel paths. Its also true that 4G will extensively use “smart antennas” which is an add-on smart functionality over X-pol antennas.

RK

Pix

Hello RK,

I cannot find these antennas in Andrews catalog, Kathrein catalog or RFS catalog… what I can find is dual-dual polar antennas (called also “quad” antennas in Andrews), which are actually two dual polar antennas, side by side, within the same radome.

These two antennas have the same polarization and the same frequency band. I guess they provide two crosspolar with a little bit of space diversity… so it can be used for 4RX/2TX DIV. But IMO i’d use that to avoid combining 4 TRX onto one Xpol antenna. I could transmit 2 TRX on one antenna, and 2 TRX on the other antenna, that avoid a loss of 3 to 4 dB.

What do you think ?

pix

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.