Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Abis structure question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Keith

All,

I’ve been reading up on A-bis interface structure and have ended up a bit confused. I hope you can help

The standards and books tend to discuss the E1 method with a number of structures for differing numbers of TRX etc. Which of these structures tends to get deployed?

I also see a lot of attempts to make the Abis interface more efficient, using ATM or IP backhaul ( usually over the same E1 bearers ) how widespread are these solutions?

best regards,

Keith

pix

hello keith,

E1 is divided in 32 TS. Each TS = 64 kbps.
    TS 0 is reserved for synchro or adressing (??? to be verified ???).

Then each TRX occupies 2 TS for its traffic, and need few kilobits for its signalling (the RSL)..

There are many possibilities regarding the RSL : mostly it can be carried on one quarter, one half, or on full TS.

Sometimes it can even be carried within the 2 TS reserved for the TRX traffic (that’s a special configuration, with restrictions on TRX configuration)

Most common configurations : 4 RSL within one TS, or 2 RSL within one TS (depending on how much signalling & SMS the cell is carrying)

FYI, the OML (link with OMCR, for supervision) is multiplexed with the RSLs, because it doesn’t require much bandwidth.

About Abis over IP, it is spreading. I believe some vendors already have this solution available in their portfolio. For alcatel, it will be available end of next year (release B11).

Ted

Hi PIX,

If Alcatel makes available A.bis over IP, will it be on totally new BTS and BSC models or existing BTS can be used? Or using external boxes? Thanks

Keith

Pix, Many Thanks, that helps a lot.

I also notice the A-bis protocol includes cyphering commands to protect the air interface. Is the cyphering done on the BSC or the BTS nodes? That is , is the speech within the TRAU frames in clear channels on the A-bis interface and then cyphered/decyphered on the BTS?

RK

Just wonder how the Abis over IP will work – will it be Abis over IP over TDM (E1) ? or somekind of ethernet cable running from BTS using ADSL or something ?
    I would also think the IP network will have to be private since QoS (bandwidth) necessary otherwise cannot be maintained.

I believe Ericsson and Nokia already offer this feature but wonder how they’ve implemented this on their BSS- any significant changes to BTS or BSC design ?

PLease extend your comments.

RK

pix

Ted …..
    regarding ABIS IP : i don’t know for sure, but it seems impossible for alcatel to design a new feature that would force customer to change their BTS’s.

For the BSC, it might be needed to use the latest BSC/MFS EVOLUTION (MX) (i’m 80% sure about this info). so the BSC G2 will not support Abis IP.

Keith….
    The ciphering is performed inside the BTS and the MS(encryption/decoding)? The TRAU frames are not ciphered.

RK…
    The Abis over IP uses the same physical link as before (2 Mb/s link or more, over microwave, sattelite, or cable). The benefit of IP-protocol is to have some kind of flexibility in the usage of this link. I don’t think the BTS-BSC link will ever be carried on the Internet 🙂

Sorry about the late answers, i missed out this thread..

RK

But Femto BTSs (the home base stations thats catching-up) are using the public internet for backhauling. But maybe since you’re talking about 1-2 users only the public IP network is OK (?)

I fully agree though, that for a macro BTS with say 12 radios per sector an IP backhaul and using public IP doesn’t sound logical.

Another solution that vendors are using to save on the backhaul is the Abis compression technique in case their IP backhaul solution is not ready.

RK

Keith

All,

Is the structure on an A-bis T1 trunk anything like the E1? I.e how are the TRX/signalling channels organised compared to an E1?

Keith

Hi All,

I’m still trying to figure out the differences in A-bis on T1 from E1. Can anyone help? Much Appreciated

pix

keith,

i think this can be found easily on wikipedia, doesn’t it ?

bert

ericsson
    has a full ip solution implementing a extra node between the bts and the bsc from bsc to the siu ip connection from
    siu to bts lapd e1 or t1 up to 64 trx’s.
    total ip towards a micro or a pico is also possible

Joeee

Hi,

What is the meaning of interface ?

pix

interface is the link between two equipments. i.e. between BTS and BSC, it is a abis link, a.k.a. an abis interface.

check wikipedia for more details 😉

inder

Is ciphering done on bts side,whn VLR sends a command to MSC.about Ciphering of a particular MS.

Wht is the parameter that BTS has(if it does the Ciphering)

inder

why do we use transcoder for Packet Control unit to link with SGSN.
    As SGSN has its own parametrs,still we have to link it with Transcoder for Gb link.(For data Transmission)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.