Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Maximum Neigbour Limit

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nitin

Hi All,
    What is the maximum limit of neighbours of any serving cell & what is the use of this limit?

akefa

Neighbouring should be optimized such that only the necessary cells are defined. extra defined neighbours will reduce the precise of signal strengths reading.

Nitin

Hi Akefa,
    I know that neighbour should be optimised, because it will increance tch drop rate, decrease HOSR etc etc. But here my main concerned is that for any cell we have to give I think(not sure) max.31 neighbours.Why we are restricted for upto 31 not more than 31 & what will happen if we give more than 31 neighbours for a serving cell????

Thanks

Pix

It just depends on your vendor… most vendors stop at 31 neighbours, maybe because it is the limit to keep an acceptable measurement rate from MS…? I dunno exactly.

Some vendors might offer additional neighbours (as a optional feature for instance ?)

Nitin

Hi Pix,
    Thanks.
    But one more thing, Is MS rejects the measurements after that certain limit or paging will be descarded???

Pix

Hi Nitin,

Sorry I don’t understand your question exactly.

Nitin

Hi Pix,
    I want to know that after 31 Neighbours list what will happen??Why a vendor set these limits??Is MS did not search the neighbors list after 31.

Pix

It is a limitation in your OMC-R : you can’t write more than 31 neighbours.

If you CAN write more than 31 neighbours, the MS will listen to all of them.

KalboNaSaRF

Nitin,

The reason why there are only 31 neighbors defined is because the GSM specs allocated only 5 bits (0-31) to represent a specific neigbor cell’s ARFCN position in the neighbor list (lowest to highest number i think). There is no point in putting more than 31 neighbors since the phone will not be able to report or scan for that matter the last (high number) channels anyway.

Nitin

Ok might be possible

Pix

this limitation is indeed defined in the standard, but i believed it was possible to define more than 31 neighbours in some OMC-R… I guess I was wrong, but i’ll double-check with my colleagues.

Nitin

As you get the exact answer, thn please let me know.

Thanks

Pix

Ok…
    Actually there is a limitation of 32 neighbour ARFCN in a cell. Which means : Not 32 neighbour cells, but 32 neighbour BCCH frequencies.

It implies that you can define several neighbours with identical BCCH frequencies but with different BSIC.

In such a case, you can increase the number of adjacencies (up to 96 as far as I understood).

Of course, having neighbours of one cell with identical BCCH is damn weird !

I hope it’s clear for you.. I think this answer is more theoretical than practical, and doesn’t require to spend so much time talking/researching about it 😀

Nitin

Ok,Good one
    Thanks for the help…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.