Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Erlang C – retries

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steven Chia

Does anyone whether what assumptions are made about the nature of retries in the Erlang C formular? That is, does it take into consideration people making multiple retries as opposed to just a single retry?

Jim Keane

Consideration of retries is not appropriate for Erlang C. This is because Erlang C makes the following basic assumptions:

1. Call are never blocked. They always enter some form of queue.

2. Call remain in that queue forever, and never clear down.

So, there is nothing to retry!

Hope that helps,
    Jim Keane.

Steven Chia

Jim thanks a lot for your reply.

What I actually intended to ask was about Erlang B extended model, not Erlang C, a mistake I should apologise.

Do you know about the assumptions made on the nature of retries in the Erlang B extended model? Is it just considering a single retry per failed attempt, or does it take into consideration the possibility of doing multiple retries per failed attempt, which I think is a very natural human behavior.

Jim Keane

Hi Steven,

It assumes multiple retries. So, if the retry figure is 70% it assumes that if you make a call and are blocked, there is a 70% chance of your making another call straight away. If that second call is blocked, there is a 70% chance of your making a third call etc…

As you say, it models natural behaviour.

Jim K.

Steven Chia

Thanks a thousand. This is very helpful for me to size my customer’s call centre. Thanks again.

By the way, do you know of any commercially available tool that helps to size call centres that has complex set up, such as having: 1) PABX 2) IVR 3) Predictive Dialler 4) Internet call centre with feature such as:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.