Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

-48 V DC in Telecom Equipment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ranjeet Jha

Sir,

I am working with a GSM provider in India.

Q: Why do we use – 48 V DC supply in Telecom Equipments.

Best Regards,

RANJEET KUMAR JHA

dr.kumar

Hi….

we are using -48V, in order to avoid battery drain up. U want still clarification ur mail ID.

wr
    dr.kumar

wer

i think in Telecom we use -48 v coz at -ve voltage less noise or interference from outside.

dr.kumar

Hi,
    of course true, but for interference and noise we provided filters in the switch.

diw

Which filter your r talking about….
    Clarify pls.

Ashish Goel

The noise pulses tend to go towards positive end. So the higher the voltage towards positive end the higher the noise and interference. Hence the volyage used in telecom is -ve.

B G Naidu

hai

Do you explain more about wht do you use -48v in telecom.

Naidu

ashish

Hi Friends, Basically I am an electrical engineer, working with a mnc. I know little bit about telecom electrical utility. I am very keen to enter in this field for installation & maintenance of switching network (BTS/BSS). Please let me know courses /certification running in India gives more knowledge about telecom electronics. How can I go for such jobs?

Omer Ahmed

Hi Everybody

The -48V voltage was selected because it was enough to get through kilometers of thin telephone wire and still low enough to be safe (electrical safety regulations in many countries consider DC voltages lower than 50V to be safe low voltage circuits). 48V voltage is also easy to generate from normal lead acid batteries (4 x 12V car battery in series). Batteries are needed in telephone central to make sure that it operates also when mains voltage is cut and they also give very stable output voltage which is needed for reliable operation of all the circuit in the central office. Typically the CO actually runs off of the battery chargers with the batteries in parallel getting a floating charge.

The line feeding voltage was selected to be negative to make the electrochemical reactions on the wet telephone wiring to be less harmful. When the wires are at negative potential compared to the ground the metal ions go form the ground to the wire instead of the situation where positive voltage would cause metal from the wire to leave which causes quick corrosion.

kat

hi all

ashish gohel,
    noise pulse can be neg(-) also, there is no specific reason to be it pos(+).

can u explain more on your point??

-thanks

suku

Hi,

I feel that , the power supply can’t generate negative voltage .

only the polarity is changed , with respective to the chassis of the equipment .

incase of -48v system , the +ve bus bar is grounded , if is’t +48v system the negative bus bar is grounded .

shaleen srivastava

Actually the earth is consider to be positive so we apply negative supply to our BTS so that when lightening occurs the charge travels to the positive terminal like earth not to the BTS. if we apply positive to our equipment then both the equipment and the earth will be connected and our instrument can be damaged during lightening
    So negative polarity seperates our BTS from earth.

One more thing which i had heard is that all the digital equipments are configured to work on negative polarity

regards
    shaleen srivastava
    BTS Engg.
    CH2MHill Communication group ltd.

srivastava.shaleen@gmail.com

suku

Hi Shaleen,

I have seen Motorola BTS , BSC , XCDRs have a positive +48V design also .

in this what will happen .

Shaleen Srivastava

hi suku
    actually this reason which i had told about the +ve supply ,told by one guy from philipines he is expert in telecom
    i’ll try to find ur answer and get back to u soon
    can u please give me ur email id
    mine is
    srivastava.shaleen@gmail.com

dextur

hello ranjeet,

i believe it is -48 to avoid cathodic reaction. You can read on this in the book Telephony by HARB.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.