Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

ATM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    K.V.RAMA KRISHNA

sir,
    please explain me about what is ATM. expalin me about basics and how it works?

Syed Anwer Saeed

sir,

Mitesh K. Shah

sir,

Elango S

Asynchronous transmission uses start and stop bits to signify the beginning and end of a transmission. This means that an 8 bit ASCII character with a parity bit would actually be transmitted using 10 bits. This method of transmission is used when data is sent intermittently as appose to in a solid stream. In the following example the start and stop bits are in bold. The start and stop bits must be of opposite polarity. This allows the receiver to recognise when the second packet of information is being sent.

Thus may say a method of sending data in irregular time intervals using a code such as ASCII. ATM allows most modern computers to communicate with one another easily.

regards,
    S Elango

Ravi

ATM is a layer 2 technology which is an improved version of ISDN.It is infact called Broadband ISDN since it gives more than 2MB BW.

Julyson Tayde

ATM is an integrated technology where all your applications (video, data, voice, etc) are transported. In the future, most will be using ATM since it solves most of the current problems of other present technologies. Circuit switch has its problem of inefficiency especially when used in data communication. Packet/Frame switcing has its problems of great delays when using it in voice applications. Thus ATM rised to solve all this problems.

The technology:
    This is because it is a cell-relay technology. A cell in ATM is 53 bytes or octets, 5 octets are for cell header and 48 octets is the payload.

ATM is basically a time-division multiplexing technique, only it is in the cell level, meaning your packets or frames are divided into cells and then switch and routed.

With that cell-relay approach, ATM can emulate same present technologies, like circuit emulation, frame emulation, etc. and thus able to handle same applications run by those said technologies.

I’m currently reading ATM book but since it’s my first time to read this technology, I think I still need more exposure with this. If you have questions, try emailing me at julysontayde@graffiti.net

Wallis Dudhnath

ATM – Asynchronous Transfer Mode – is a fast cellular Network
    technology that uses a fixed “cell” size. With the rapid growth
    of the Internet (TCP/IP) ATM is now “displaced” by
    Ethernet and MPLS (-TE, – TP).

VBR/ Wallis Dudhnath

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.