Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Routing Area (RAC ) Update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Arindam Dey

Hi,
    I have a typical problem in a Siemens BSS. I found recently in a drive test, that everytime a call is terminated, the phone makes a “Routing Area Update”, even though the RAC is not actually changing. This raises two questions.

1. Is there any parameter which causes this to happen ( there must be ). If it does, is it related to PCU, SGSN or GGSN. What is this parameter called.Apparently it is like the periodic registration.

2. If the mobile does make a RAC update, should it not be instructed to do so in one of the system info messages?? ( May be sys info 13 ).

Please Help

Thanks

Arindam

Mohammad Yasin

Hi Arindam ,

can you please tell the handset model you have used or it is for all the handsets.
    Reply soon.

Arindam

Hi Mohammad,

The typiclal Sony Ericsson T610 which comes with the TEMS investigation these days.

However, does it really depend on the model ? I guess, there should be some message in the BCCH which instructs the phone to do a RAC update.

I any case let me kow your views

Mohammad Yasin

hi Arindam ,
    Try it with Nokia Handsets .In Nokia handsets there is a option in GPRS settings when needed and always online.In always online the case should be that which you are talking about and in some Sony ericcsson handsets they have inbuilt always online mode.

Regards,

Tally

Hi,
    most probably you’ll have the same problem with Samsung mobiles. They don’t have possibility to define GPRS option as when needed. So they are always online as Sony-Ericsson.
    Regards,

Mohammad Yasin

HI ARINDAM
    TELL ME YOUR PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED OR NOT.I THINK IT SHOULD BE SOLVED BUT IF NOT TELL ME I WILL TRY TO SOLVE IT

REGARDS

Arindam Dey

Hi Mohammad,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Well I could not check the phenomena in a Nokia Handset, as I do not have one at my disposal.
    However I would like to add one crucial piece of information. I did a little drive test in Ericsson BSS and Motorola BSS area also.
    This problem was not observed in Ericsson area. If u let me know ur e-mail id, I can also send u the logfiles.

jitu

hi Arindam,

I m working on Nokia BSS Systems,
    i m also finding the same problem as u, & also i m having TEMS system for drive test, so can any one help me out to resolve this problem???

Mohammad Yasin

Hi Jitu
    i am giving same solution to you which i gave to Arindam.
    Try it with Nokia Handsets .In Nokia handsets there is a option in GPRS settings when needed and always online.In always online the case should be that which you are talking about and in some Sony ericcsson handsets they have inbuilt always online mode.

i am waiting logs fro Arindam and after your reply we can think in a new way
    Regards

Mohammad Yasin

Hi Arindam
    Sorry for replying late but i replied on 31st also and on 1 feb but dont have idea what happened.Anyways now same problem is being faced by jitu also.
    Together we can work out a solution.
    Reply soon
    Regards,

Arindam Dey

HI Mohammed,
    I need ur e-mail id to send the logs. Can u post ur e-mail id.

Arindam

Mohd. Yasin

Hi
    my e-mail id is engineeryasin@yahoo.com

Oliver

Hi all:

We experimented the same problems in our network.I found in GPRS standard this is a normal procedure to perform a R.A. update after CS call is release. This is to inform the network the location of the subscriber and is iniciated by the handset.
    This R.A. update ocurrs to users which are register in SGSN VLR and are on either ready or standy state.

Scot

Hi Oliver,

This is ( RA Update ) only 4 COMBINED ATTACH Susbcribers or for all ?

And who determines this action ?

GGSN/MS ?

Oliver

RAU is done for every GPRS user after it finishes CS call.
    Depedning on which network mode are you using in your network it can be only RAU normal or combined

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.