Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

AuC – Authentication Center

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dennis

AuC – I’m wondering if algrithms A3 and A8 that have to be implemeted in Auc are licenced (who is licence holder?) or are free (where one can get the specs)? The second question is if AuC is usually developed and supplied by producer of HLR or if it is usually from someone else. In other words if it is possible to buy AuC as separate block? Thanks.

waleed

hi there,the AUC can be implemented from any brand differ than the installed MSW but for more competalility its better to be same as the HLR…

dennis

Is there any usualy used protocol to interconnect AuC with HLR? (because this is only feasible way to connect AuC with HLR from different producer)

About algorithms A3, A8 I have found that they are not strictly standardized. There exist only some proposals that are available from GSM forum. As I suppose the specific algorithm (A3, A8) is negotiated between operator and SIM card supplier. Can anybody confirm this guess? Another question arise: Is it usual that one operator uses more than one type of A3, A8 algorithms – different version of SIMs??? Why? – different level of security???

alexander

I work on nokia, and in nokia implementation HLR and AUC are the same rack, just 2 different units inside one rack, so there is no possibility and no protocol to connect auc of another vendor to nokia HLR.

S.Vijay

Standard says..AUC and HLR as differnt units.But..always in integrated setup to avoide heavy signaling Load.

If you make it as standalone..then you have to Make interface with HLR through C7 Links.And the associated Laod and SCCP funCtions are HEADACHE.

Rgds

dennis

Thanks for reply. What about the second topic? How is common practice with implementation of A3 and A8? If AuC supplier delivers AuC with some set of variants of A3/A8 algorithms and according that SIM card producer supplies SIMs with specific A3/A8 algorithms supported by AuC. Or if this proces is governed by SIM card supplier and specific algoritmhs are loaded into AuC by operator of mobile network. Does anyone have the practical expirience with SIM card ordering concerning A3, A8…?

As I found in AuC Ericsson datasheet AuC supports up to sixteen A3/A8 algorithms in parallel.

msk

As alex said that nokia has inbuilt HLR/AUC. Ithink in most of the companies supplying HLR/AUC in the same rack.

dennis

Thanks,as I wrote the second thing I need to know – What is expected from AuC supplier? Im participate on developing of HLR/AuC. I need to know, if it is expected from customers(operators) that implementation of A3/A8 alg. is done by supplier of AuC or these algirithms run e.g. somewhere externaly centralized and powered by SIM card supplier and AuC only request triplet from there, OR these alg. are loaded to AuC from e.g. CD rom supplied by SIM card supplier OR whatsoever…

S.Vijay

Hi Dennis,

From AUC Vendor..Operators expect..

More BHCA
    More Load Handling Capacity.
    Including C7,PROCESSOR,APPLICATIONS.
    More Flexibility in Upgrading/Changing/SW Changes

Dennis I need …

Some docs related to Network/Switch Dimensioning.

Rgds

dennis

But this would imply that supplier of AuC has to cooperate with SIM cards suppliers – because for particular subscriber of course same A3/A8 alg. have to be used in MS (SIM) and in AuC. (OR where AuC supplier can get info what precise alg. it should implement…?)

Unfortunatelly anything concerning Network/Switch Dimensioning I dont have, I dealt mainly with signalling troubleshooting and signalling trainings (www.profitel.cz)

S.Vijay

Hi Dennis,

Thanks…for your info.

And related to the Alogrithms you have to check with GSM Association.Becoz they are the one who offers ALGORITHM Info.

When you apply for membership they will provide it.But I am not sure.

Can you give me your mail id at scorplund1976@yahoo.com

Rgds

dennis

I have couple of new info from one GSM provider about A3/A8 – Implementation is done by AuC supplier, provider gets some questionary – there are probably clarified slectable (optional) things (parameters of A3/A8). Similar questionary GSM provider gets from SIM card supplier. After filling them implemetation phase begins, during implementation SIM cards supplier cooperates with AuC supplier. Then for each SIM card it has to be loaded at least Ki (plus maybe some info – values of parameters of A3/A8 used for this SIM???) into AuC in encrypted way. But I’m not sure if it is really in practice as I write above – can anybody confirm my guesses? Question is if questionaries are based on A3/A8 proposals from GSM forum? In other words – What positive does it bring (imply) the membership in GSM forum for AuC supplier?

S.Vijay

Normally AUC is supplied from the vendor who supplies HLR Nodes alongwith other Network Infrastructures.

So they automatically becomes a Memmber.

I dont know anybody who JUST Delivers AUC.

Rgds

dennis

Of course in project in that I involved in the Auc is being developed with other infrastructure as HLR. But I do not see any needs why such developers should attend GSM forum. At the moment I can
    not realize what GSM forum can offer for support of developing of other blocks than AuC??? And even for Auc I have some doubts… you can see below…

Prakash

I want to know how A3, A8 and A5 alogrithms work. Like triple DES alogirthms is it any steps present in this algorithms, if yes please inform me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Telecom Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.